Parts needed: 1958 Packard sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts needed: 1958 Packard sedan

Hi all, Pretty new to this forum although not to Studebakers. I am trying to get my brothers 1958 Packard 4 door moveable before winter. I have limited workspace so I have to rotate the cars around when I want to work on one. I am really needing all of the guts to the left front brake. When I pulled off the drum there was only a wheel cylinder. Someone must have started to work on it and all is now missing. I now understand that the front 11 inch shoes are not easy to find. I am hoping that some one would be willing to set me up with the missing parts and a couple of workable shoes. I know very, very CASO, but I promise that I will get it fixed right next spring. I am rebuiding the front wheel cylinders and getting new hoses while I am here now. But I need all three return springs, the adjuster, hold down pins and keepers, the odd shaped long part under the upper return springs, and the rubber plug for the adjuster. I would also like to find a used bearing cap as I tried the new ones from S.I. and they are not very good. I had to crimp the inside edge to get them to stay and I don't trust them to be secure. By the way, this is the one that was on Craigs list in Seattle. It actually runs and moves (well before I yanked off the wheels). It is slowly coming back to life. Other parts I would like to get are: An air cleaner for the wcfb (do not know if was a wet or dry type, but I think it might be dry). The rear lic plate trunk housing (I know it might be spendy), but let me know. Might be interested in 3 stock 14 inch wheels and both left side roll up windows tinted. I realize that shipping could be a bear and glass is hard to ship safely but I figure it would not hurt to ask. Thanks ahead of time. Tommy

Tommy, at the top of these pages on the Dark Blue Line is a LINK to your Private Messages (PM's), I sent you a PM there, as we may be able to help.

Rich.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tommy, as far as the glass goes why not call around locally the auto glass shops? They should have the templates to cut new glass since the side glass is flat.

With as much as you have missing with the brakes I would suggest a disc brake conversion but then you may have a problem with clearance between the wheels & calipers. Contact Jim Turner about that at 317-877-0453after 6 pm central time.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
        Tommy, as far as the glass goes why not call around locally the auto glass shops? They should have the templates to cut new glass since the side glass is flat.

With as much as you have missing with the brakes I would suggest a disc brake conversion but then you may have a problem with clearance between the wheels & calipers. Contact Jim Turner about that at 317-877-0453after 6 pm central time.
        Changing over to disc brakes seems like an expensive solution when all he needs is a handful of small parts that anyone who has been around Studebakers has laying around the shop. Tommy - your brother Pat is in my area - tell him to get with me and I will give you the parts you require no charge.

Comment

I just sold a 58 Packard sedan three weeks ago. It was a real beauty! I miss that car greatly! Reach out to Rich what he can provide. Buy the flat glass locally. As for body parts, I should have what you are needing except for the air cleaner. Jim Bahr at Wisconsin Studebaker has a dry air cleaner. Send me a private msg on your specific needs for the other parts. Best wishes they are great cars.

Comment

Hey everybody,
            I was able to get all of the brake parts donated to me from Brent Hagen. I also bought some new relined shoes for the front and a few other NOS parts for the car. Still need an air cleaner and that rear license plate light/holder or what ever that chrome thingy does.

Pat

Comment

Working...
            X