1964 Lark type: Trunk latch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1964 Lark type: Trunk latch problem

It seems that every '64 Lark type I have ever owned eventually has a problem with the activating mechanism in the trunk lock. It has a square hole in it that apparently is made of some pretty soft metal. As the extension on the key lock cylinder causes this actuator to turn when unlocking the trunk, stresses applied to this little round gizmo with the square hole in it cause it to wear out over time. The square configuration of it's inside diameter tends to wear to the point that the extension on the lock cylinder will ultimately not continue to activate the latch. Those of you who have had vast experience with these cars will undoubtedly know what I am talking about.

For the last 30 years or so my fix has been to insert a flat piece of metal, measuring approximately .025 inches by .200 inches between the extension on the lock cylinder and the worn out square hole, and clamping the thin metal strip to the extension. That buys another 10 years or so of use to the latch. Since these '64's are in daily use at our house, I am wondering if anyone knows of a better fix for the problem. I've got another one to do and I have run out of the .024" X .200" flat stock !!!

Thanks,

Larry

That is a good fix and very innovative.

Many times you can find flat stock at hobby shops. Modelers use it and hobby shops stock it in brass, stainless steel, plastic, and sometimes in aluminum.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The square key stock of the lock is harder than the part it turns. It is also a loose fit. Braze the shaft, and file it down a bit for a better fit. You'll never have to fix it again.

Comment

Working...
      X