Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prototype R1 Super Lark at 2013 Newport Hill Climb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype R1 Super Lark at 2013 Newport Hill Climb?

Could be!

Seriously, as many of you know, cars newer than 1955 cannot compete in the actual Newport Indiana Antique Auto Hill Climb timed runs up the hill. However, there is an equally-large (if not larger) car show where anything older than 1975 may be displayed.

This year's [2013] event was down a little because it has rained incessantly here for the last several days...but, miraculously, the skies cleared in time for the actual Hill Climb runs this afternoon and it was an unusually pleasant day. It was muddy in the parking lot but not impassable; I didn't see anyone stuck, and everything else is on paved Newport Streets, including "the hill" itself. 284 cars / vehicles were registered to make timed runs up the hill.

The above 1962 Lark was an automatic, and displayed by Dustin Rahn of Vincennes IN, which is due south of Newport about 90 miles. I don't know Dustin and he wasn't around to talk to, so I just snapped the pictures. (Cute car, Dustin; 'looks like you are just getting busy on it. Best wishes and thumbs-up.)

(If I had a laptop and we had a spot to view it out of the sun, I could just have pulled up the latest Turning Wheels and he could have squinted to read it and would have been really impressed with what a swell "magazine" we have....oops, that's in several years, when SDC has "gotten with it" and I'd not be able to show him a print copy! )

Anyway, there were a couple dozen Studebakers at Newport, both displayed and competing. I really owe Ann Turner the December Co-Operator NOW, so I've got to get it done and shipped and will post more photos and information later in the week, unless someone beats me to it. (If so, fellow attendees; have at it with my blessing.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Well I do like the looks of the chrome air cleaner,first time I've seen a stock one chromed.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

And everyone will please note the correct battery hold-down, too! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Okay, what was the engine block number?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Doesn't look like a fuel flow block.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
            Doesn't look like a fuel flow block.

Allen
            An R1 with a 2 bbl carb?

Comment

It's just a standard 259, guys; probably the car's original engine. ("V" prefix; I checked. Body # is early enough it would have been partial flow, too, although I didn't look.)

(Sometimes, this place is far too serious...in fact, most of the time, it is far too serious!) BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                It's just a standard 259, guys; probably the car's original engine. ("V" prefix; I checked. Body # is early enough it would have been partial flow, too, although I didn't look.)

(Sometimes, this place is far too serious...in fact, most of the time, it is far too serious!) BP
                I found it entertaining.....and humorous!

Chris.

Comment

Good one, Bob! The oil filler tube is a giveaway for one, and E.T. Reynolds made it clear in Turning Wheels several years ago there were NO Avanti powered 1962 Larks ever made!

Craig

Comment

I do remember seeing a 62 for sale on eBay, or some other site, a few years back that had a stack of tags on the firewall and it was said it was a prototype for the R series cars. Was it real or just a fake? It might not have had the R series specs but I think it was supercharged.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                      I found it entertaining.....and humorous! Chris.
                      Thanks, Chris...obviously (at least I would hope!), that was my only intention! BP

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Good one, Bob! The oil filler tube is a giveaway for one, and E.T. Reynolds made it clear in Turning Wheels several years ago there were NO Avanti powered 1962 Larks ever made! Craig
                        Easy, Craig. Remember Post #24 in the 5-year-old topic, Indianapolis police cars and Bob Palma. BP

Comment

Easy, Craig. Remember Post #24 in the 5-year-old topic, Indianapolis police cars and Bob Palma. BP
                          I bet E.T. must be rolling around in his grave!! He worked right in the engineering department, and one would think he would have been right on top of every project that came out of there!! Have you located the production order after five years??

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 10-07-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Craig, here's the link to the topic cited in Post #12.

To your point, I wonder if it would prove anything if we could find the PO for the specific Lark Indiana State Police Car my Dad's cousin was driving that day? It could have been built as 'most any V8 Police Car and had a notation at the bottom, "Send to Engineering for Indiana State Police Modification," or something to that effect.

Unless they specified in detail exactly what was being contemplated by the Engineering Dept, we still wouldn't have proof it left South Bend as an R2, although I am sure it did, of course. (During the 1962 model year, I can't imagine The Indiana State Police Motor Pool taking it upon themsevles to construct such a car just for grins....) BP

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                              I do remember seeing a 62 for sale on eBay, or some other site, a few years back that had a stack of tags on the firewall and it was said it was a prototype for the R series cars. Was it real or just a fake? It might not have had the R series specs but I think it was supercharged.
                              Without a look at those tags and a Serial Number to pull up a Production Order, I'd be the last person to say Never. However, I would place a modest wager against its authenticity. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X