1952 Studabaker Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 Studabaker Brakes

I have a 1952 Starlight that has had squaling brakes when I bought it 2 years ago. I had a friend tell me the shoes were on upside down, (they looked new) so with alot of effert and grinding on the corners I reversed them. Within 2 days ,the same load squeal! My question is-Should the longer shoe be on the left or right, top to bottom?. Thank You for a reply ,Walter

Probably not matter which shoe is where to stop the noise problem - it is probably the material on the shoes themselves.

If you really want to solve your noise problem (and make braking much, much better), find someone who has purged their 54 and up V8 Studebaker car of their drum brakes. Backing plates will bolt straight to your spindles/rear and you will be able to stop the car much better than you ever did before.

Good luck.

Comment

I believe the longer shoe goes to the front but, Patrick may be correct. The issue may be glazing on the shoe, or the drum. Clean them both with a medium sandpaper and, if it solves the problem, exercise them often; meaning, don't be afraid to drive your Studebaker.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks, I will look around, Walter

Comment

This will help, I will make sure the bigger shoe is toward the front, and will sand and clean as well. Will let you know in a couple of days if it helped, Walter

Comment

'52 brakes were kinda unique. First, they can't go on upside down; there would be no hole for the eccentric pin to go through. The shoe with long lining faces forward, and should have a hole in it for the self adjuster plug. The shoe with shorter lining at the bottom faces the rear. The return spring connects to the forward shoe only. The reverse shoe is supposed to float.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              The return spring connects to the forward shoe only. The reverse shoe is supposed to float.
              Are you sure about that Dwain? I always connect the spring across the shoes - from one shoe to another, so that it pulls both shoes at the same time. Also, the brakes should be the same from 51-53. Are you talking about trucks?
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My 52 had problems with the brakes caused by the previous owner not understanding how they were set up. The self adjuster plugs must be pushed out as far as they will go and then carefully filed down flush with the surface of the lining. If the plug is not properly trimmed down, it has no where to go as the lining wears down. The plug sticking out will cause squealing and uneven braking. If you don't have a shop manual you really need one.
                Of course, with the different lining materials they provide now anything is possible. I would check the installation first if you want to keep the stock brakes.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

WOW! Lots of good info, Thanks everybody, Walter

Comment

Working...
                  X