No announcement yet.

12V wiper motor for a 55 truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 12V wiper motor for a 55 truck?

Does anyone know of a readily available 12V wiper motor that will work in my 55 C cab truck with a no or a minimum of modifications?

This place has 12v wipers for 49 to 53. You might ask them if they can help. I have had one on my 49 for 15 years.

Comment

Later trucks had 12V wipers, not sure why you could not use of them.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The aftermarket motors are $175+,12V Studebaker replacement for later years are big $$$$$ as well.I was hoping for a more common (current) motor that I could retrofit.

Comment

Maybe you can find a used 12V Studebaker wiper motor (try the studebakerswap.com site).
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Thanks,Will do.

Comment

Will a 12V Hawk or Lark wiper motor interchange?

Comment

If you can find a 57 or newer truck C Cab you can retrofit the unit from there, but you have to use the newer bracket as well......
                meaning you have to drill it out of the parts truck and bolt it into new.

Comment

I was told at the Nashville meet last weekend, by a guy who seemed knowledgeable, that a mid to late 1980s Dakota truck wiper motor fits Hawks with minimal mod. Not sure if a Hawk's motor is even close to your 55 truck though.

Comment

"C" Cab Electric Wiper Motors

You will need to weld in or otherwise fasten, the Center Cab (Cowl) Brace from a Electric Wiper Motor equipped "C" Cab Truck as per Post #8 to mount the Motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	55 E12d.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1684158 Click image for larger version

Name:	59 Stude 4E7j.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1684159
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-15-2013, 11:52 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Guys! I got a Stude unit that will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                        If you can find a 57 or newer truck C Cab you can retrofit the unit from there, but you have to use the newer bracket as well......
                        meaning you have to drill it out of the parts truck and bolt it into new.
                        For the record, I believe the change to the later style of vertical strut that will accommodate both electric and vacuum wiper motors was made in 1953 near the end of the 2R series. So the OP's 55 E-series truck should have the correct mounting bracket.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                        X