restoring 57 golden hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restoring 57 golden hawk

I started this car about 2 months ago and thought I could just clean it up but the further I went into it I figured
    what the heck go for it so tell me what you think. The biggest problem I'm running into is the inner structure of the deck. Would like to find a
    replacement ddeck lid if anyone knows of one. The frame seems solid. The underneath is OK but I have some
    confussion about some aluminum that I have sent pictures to some people and they said it was a aftermarket box that screwed to the rocker and went to the body underneath. Anyone ever run into this? I will try to post pictures of it later I just removed the body
    from the frame and have it on the rotesserie for now. Will blast frame in a couple days and move on the body.
    Attached Files

I think you are talking about the "torque boxes" and it appears they have been replaced at some time in that Hawks life. Finding a solid deck lid should not be difficult, just be sure you are buying from someone who insures it to be "rust free" and never repaired. The bottom edge is noted for rusting.
    It is an addiction!

Comment

Thanks for the answer. Do you know if the torque boxes are available? I looked on Studebaker Internationals Web Site but couldn't find.
      Do you think they are hard to duplicate? They didn't seem to be that much but there is nothing left for me to go by.
      I know what you meen by honest people I have restored vehicles before and ran accross some remarkable people. Mine is rusted around
      the hinges which I would repair but the rear corners are gone also.

Comment

Are you sure it is a 57 Golden hawk? picture number 3 doesn't look like one.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
          Are you sure it is a 57 Golden hawk? picture number 3 doesn't look like one.
          Looks like 56 doors,and 57 & earlier frame. Maybe a 56 Sky Hawk ? A fin-less 57 GH with 56 doors?

Comment

Could also be a 55. My torque boxes, hog troughs, had to be replaced. Used the old ones for a template and a metal brake to make new ones from 18 gauge. The rotisserie made installation easier, but still had to go in from the top, too. Good luck.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Classic Enterprises has many repair panels for Studebakers. Not sure about the body stiffeners, aka hog troughs.

Welcome to Classic Enterprises where we manufacture restoration car and truck parts for the Studebaker Avanti, Coupe, Hawk, Lark, pre-Lark post-war Sedan, C-cab pickup and T-cab pickup; also Jeep, Willys and the Ford Fairlane 500 retractable and convertible. Visit us at http://www.classicent.com. Reproductions are of the same gauge steel as the original in most applications, or a heavier gauge wherever the original component was too light for its application.

I agree, those doors are 53-56.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

How could you tell the hog troughs have been replaced? jimmijim
                Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
                I think you are talking about the "torque boxes" and it appears they have been replaced at some time in that Hawks life. Finding a solid deck lid should not be difficult, just be sure you are buying from someone who insures it to be "rust free" and never repaired. The bottom edge is noted for rusting.
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

S.I. doesn't do hog troughs. I bought every other panel they had (lol). Jimmijim, he stated they were aluminum after market. Stude used steel.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have had many discussion about this car being 56 or 57 but when I ran the cowl and pillar numbers 57H K7 it came back as a 57 golden hawk
                    originally Tiara Gold that rolled of they assembly line in January 57. I then striped the top of rear quarters to look for holes for the fins that came with it and it looks like someone filled them in with maybe lead not body filler? Why anyone would do that I dont know. As for the doors and fenders they way they are contoured they appear to be 56 or earlier doors and fenders? I found no holes in fenders or doors for any trim includeing the turn signals. I have they grills and they appear correct for a 57. As far as the torque boxes being aluminum I maybe wrong they may be steel.

Comment

Working...
                    X