Stock Studes.. and not quite stock Studes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Studes.. and not quite stock Studes

I first saw a Stude-Camino at a Phoenix auction and loved it... until I realized it was a knock off glass front clip on a lowly Chevy. Then as I got to reacquainting myself with Studebakers it seemed like most of them that caught my eye had some kind of modification be it a hot ignition, disc brakes, non standard dry air cleaner etc.

In the auction side of my life I was becoming bored to death hearing the 'vette guys echoing numbers matching till it turned my stomach. They were wanting absolutely original right down to the mold tits on the tires.... I began to realize that none of the Glass Chevy types ever mentioned the lines, the styling or comparison of looks between the various years except for how much non-original gloss the owner was able to apply.

On the other hand, even my lowly, 3rd rate 20 footer restoration of the Champ was stopped twice yesterday for pictures on a 3 mile trip to the FLAPS. The timeless styling of C/K and Avanati are what they are all about to both the non-believers who were born before 1950 and those who have their first child on their knee. The Lark while not a styling homerun has its own uniqueness.

As I did the Champ whatever my excuse I made my own mods in the way the cab was supported to the frame, a remote brake reservoir, radio console, Halogen headlights and relay, Boat trailer tail lights, seat belts, 2 tone paint etc. I was just making changes that seemed necessary.

As I began the Speedster, the plan was to make it stock.... until I considered the benefit of front discs, dual master cylinder, 12 volt system, new Stewart Warner gauges, halogen lights, electric fuel pump etc. At least it will look stock.

My point... The attraction of the Stude remains the timeless styling of the C/K and Avanti.. not that the numbers match.

Well, yes the styling is what attracts. The superior serviceability (even stock) is what holds me. Most cars of the 50's and 60's were tanks that wore themselves out lugging themselves around. They were in many instances completely wore out by the time 70,000 miles were on them. They rode mushy, steered vague,stopped poorly. Every Stude I have owned were the polar opposite. Rode taut, steered where pointed and stopped better than any other car. And I have driven one without major work 365,000 miles on the same engine without having to overhaul it. You don't NEED to modify them to drive them. Sure if you compare them to a car built 60 years later, they are going to have some short comings. That comparison isn't even in any way fair. And I can get them to drive as good as any 80's (at least) car, using newer materials STUDEBAKER parts.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My truck is highly modified , but I never have another M series pull in with me. Exceptions would be the International Studebaker meet in South Bend and more than likely the upcoming Pumpkin Run where about 3000 pre 70 vehicles will be Oct. 4,5 &6 . Point is I feel I still promote Studebaker ,maybe not as well as stock which I love , but it is still a Studebaker.
      Randy Wilkin
      1946 M5 Streetrod
      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
        I was becoming bored to death hearing the 'vette guys echoing numbers matching till it turned my stomach. They were wanting absolutely original right down to the mold tits on the tires.... I began to realize that none of the Glass Chevy types ever mentioned the lines, the styling or comparison of looks between the various years except for how much non-original gloss the owner was able to apply.
        On the other hand, even my lowly, 3rd rate 20 footer restoration of the Champ was stopped twice yesterday for pictures on a 3 mile trip to the FLAPS.
        My point... The attraction of the Stude remains the timeless styling of the C/K and Avanti.. not that the numbers match.
        amen!

with my '80 C3 Corvette (even with matching numbers), i would get all kinds of grief about "originality" from other Corvette owners at multi-make car shows for piddly changes made by a P.O. (chrome air cleaner was the most obvious).

i'll add the "bullet nose" to "attraction of folks" to the Studebaker!

when i start working on the problems on the '51 this winter, i'd love to drop a V8, a better trans and rear end, brakes, etc. and keep this one all Studebaker. the Avanti was far from original.
        but with funds low and health issues, i'll be pleased with fixing most of what's needed...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

5 Months ago I pulled a 1950 C Cab from the weeds 250 miles from my house. It was sitting there for something like 16 years. No engine in the front A commander 6 in the bed Two different transmissions. This old 3/4 ton was decent but needed everything. I have to say I hate hearing about all of this car show stuff talking about original. What about those of us that do not Have the option of such things. I have been working on her, she is going to have a brand new 224 Studebaker engine A t86 Od in her. Most everything will be studeaker but not any where near stock. I don't like the Studebaker colors for the year of the truck ( sorry die hards) The Ccabs just do not look great in dark colors so its going to go to a tangerine orange with a coat of silver under it to make it pop and maybe even a bit of pearl as well. I have no option for original but I will in the end have something I WANT to drive and the nose tag will still say Studebaker. My answer to those that point and say " Not stock" is simple. "its mine and its a 65 year old truck back on the road. If you don't want to see it in a show, you don't have to look

Comment

Working...
          X