Nissan Skyline drive train and suspension adapted to 48 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Nissan Skyline drive train and suspension adapted to 48 Champion

I should probably start with some explanation of how I came to this project. I have tinkered with cars, rebuilt wrecks since I was in college, done engine swaps, custom body work, even built a vehicle from scratch to my own design. But except for my Ford truck, I have never done an American car. After driving my Skyline powered RX-7 for a while, I decided this was the best engine on the planet, and I should do a more comprehensive swap using the Skyline suspension and brakes. I wanted something fairly small so it does not take up my whole garage. I wanted something fairly light weight, which eliminates a lot of American cars. I wanted something unique and stylish, which really eliminates a lot of American cars in my view. And I wanted something that is not highly sought after, so I could buy a fairly nice car for a starting point, and not spend my life restoring an old junker. This brought me inevitably to the 47-49 Studebaker, possibly a 52. The bullet nose is the obvious choice for an exotic looking custom car, but I just dont care for the look personally for a daily driver, and I am building a car to drive.

I went back to Foreign Engines Inc, north of Seattle, Where I bought the front clip for my RX-7 and they had another Skyline front clip with the RB20DET motor (Translation: RB series straight six, 2.0 liter, Dual overhead cams, Electronic fuel injection, Turbocharged) , and only 57,000 km on the clock(35,000 miles). Most of the guys doing the swaps want the RB25 which is 280 hp stock, and easily can make 400-500 hp, or the RB26, 320 hp stock, can be built to make over 1,000 hp. But these cost two or three times what the RB20 costs. The RB motors were only used in the Skyline, basically sold in Japan and Australia, right hand drive only.

Those of you familiar with the JDM (Japan Domestic Market) imported motors will know there are the 1JZ (2.5 liter) and 2JZ (3.0 liter) straight six motors from Toyota which are also very popular. Both the Nissan and Toyota motors are made in normally aspirated and turbo versions. The 2JZ is used in the Supra and the SC300 Lexus coupe. I knew almost nothing about this stuff two years ago, but now I have learned to speak the language, and I can see that there are many specialized "tuner shops" doing these JDM swaps, and about a half dozen companies importing these JDM engines and trannies just in the Seattle area. This is really a big business in California, Florida and some other places. A lot of these swaps are very high dollar projects, but I have shown that it can be done for a reasonable price. The big thing is I am staying with the stock 215 hp rated power in both my cars, and I am getting 27-28 mpg with the RX-7 in all-around driving, 30 something on the highway. The Studebaker will weigh about 200-300 pounds more.

We have spent several weeks tinkering with various parts in between working on other projects, such as fabricating an intake plenum that has an old school look to it. My fabricator/welder friend Sean O'Brien came up with the idea of using an old style cast aluminum valve cover, the kind with the ribs cast in, as it is just about the right size and shape for a plenum for this motor. I modified the cam covers to relocate some plumbing that gave the engine a cluttered look, made a ventilated cover for the coil packs, and have been cleaning up and painting the suspension and brake parts. Not going for show quality, but I want it to look presentable - this car will attract a lot of attention from the tuner car crowd, not so sure what the V8 hot rod crowd will think.

When my friend put his 240SX up on my lift, and I had a good look at the rear suspension, I did some research and found that the Skyline and the Infiniti J30 have the same basic suspension, but with a bigger viscous limited slip and much bigger brakes. I never even looked at anything else - why bother? We also were looking at a J30 and noticed that the fuel tank is in the trunk, and even on 20 year old cars, it looks like new, and has the high pressure immersed pump for the fuel injection. A quick measurement showed it would fit nicely in the forward part of the Studebaker trunk. Mine is a Starlight coupe, not sure what the trunk is like on other models. When I suggested grafting the Skyline front clip to the Studebaker firewall, Sean said that would be hell of a lot of work, better to find some modern front suspension that would be easily adapted. But then I pointed out that once the front clip is installed, you don't have to worry about cross members, engine mounts, suspension mounting, springs, shocks, sway bar, basically just mounting a left hand drive rack. It turns out the J30 rack is almost a bolt in. And so, on Monday, 16 Sept, 2013, we began the big adventure. I built some steel panels for a bulkhead to separate the trunk from the passengers (thought it would be more fire resistant than the cardboard). Sean mounted the fuel tank and after some discussion , we decide to have the filler in the trunk for now. The attached photos will be self explanatory. More to come.

Click image for larger version

Name:	17 Sept Tuesday - J30 tank installed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1740720Click image for larger version

Name:	18 Sept Wednesday - front end stripped.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1740721Click image for larger version

Name:	19 Sept Thursday - fuel tank and rear axle removed.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1740722Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Sept Friday morning - Skyline R33 Rear suspension.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1740723Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Sept Friday - Taking measurements for the mounts.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1740724Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Sept Friday - Rear Suspension  Mount.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1740725Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear suspension - front mount.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1740726Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Suspension - rear mounts.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1740727Click image for larger version

Name:	20 Sept Friday evening - rear ride height.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1740728
    Last edited by 48skyliner; 10-28-2015, 03:29 AM.
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Unique modifications. Would like to see more as it comes together.

Comment

WOW! I am NOT a fan of Japanese cars, nor am I am fan of Tuner culture.............

But I AM a HUGE fan of innovation and KILLER fabrication! Cool project!

I am sure some of the purists out there are going to cringe... but It's your car. In fact, I really like the business coupe and it looks like you have a really clean one there! I have to admit, the first thing I thought was Noooooooooo!

Then I checked out the pics and I have to admit......... fabrication looks first class! I like it! A LOT!

What are your plans for body, paint, wheels, tires, etc? Those wheels on the back remind me of a 1980's nightmare!

People are always reluctant to change............

Comment

Huh...... A lot of people will be offended by this car, I am certainly not one of them. I am a fan of *** cars when done right, my daily might soon be an early 260z. The neat thing is it will still be a straight six car just like it always was, and while I don't mind chevy powered hot rods I like to see something different and refreshing, which this most certainly is to me. How old school do you plan to keep the rest of it? Will the interior be modern or will it look classic still? What wheels do you plan to use? With those big brakes you'll need some decent diameter, but I think most *** wheels will look out of place. The fabrication out back is very impressive. I can't wait to see where this goes it's something I thought about before but it's kinda crazy to see. Man this will be the ultimate autocross sleeper
        BTW keep that dual carb/exhaust stuff on the stock motor, it's worth a pretty penny.
        Good Luck and keep updates coming.

Comment

I have saw a few Studes with Japanese drive-trains, including a late 1940s sedan with a 22R Toyota motor & tranny. That car was done as a father & son project, was on the road, dependable, and got great MPG.Those kinda conversions require a higher level of skill than I possess, but I admire those who can do it. Please keep us posted with lots of pix

Comment

bravo...not an easy job, that you`re making look super easy. I`m positive you`re going to love this car when it`s done. It`s obvious that many hours of thought and planning have gone into this conversion. Also great that you started a new thread. Welcome to the forum, stick around and keep us informed. Cheers, Junior.

did you consider using the VG or VQ engine from the J30?...not that it really matters, the six in a row is a sweet engine, it`s just that I figured using the v series of engine and clip from the Infiniti would have been cheaper.
            Last edited by junior; 09-29-2013, 07:05 AM.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Creative, well planned out, and beautiful work!

I actually like the rear wheels on the car (all the way around). It gives a nice "hint" that there is something special going on underneath.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice work!
                An added bonus - your Champion 6 with Offy 2x manifold and dual exhaust manifold might help fund your project. That's also a sweet piece.
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Great job on your project 48skyliner! I wish I had your skill set..

I hope to meet you at some of the upcoming NW Studebaker events.. maybe if i ask nicely, you can take me for a quick spin..

Comment

Thanks for starting a build thread on this great project. For all the world, it will look like an almost Stock Stude (SS) going down the road, but really you will be driving a Nissan, with it's reliability and driving/riding comfort. I applaud you, and since I'm only 150 miles away, I hope to see it in person one day! Please keep going with this thread!!! I'd estimate well over half of us appreciate hot rods and conversions/swaps, in addition to the stockers. Regardless of what the others might say, this keeps the Studebaker name out in the public, as I'm sure you will drive the wheels off this sucker.
                    Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
                      Thanks for starting a build thread on this great project. For all the world, it will look like an almost Stock Stude (SS) going down the road, but really you will be driving a Nissan, with it's reliability and driving/riding comfort. I applaud you, and since I'm only 150 miles away, I hope to see it in person one day! Please keep going with this thread!!! I'd estimate well over half of us appreciate hot rods and conversions/swaps, in addition to the stockers. Regardless of what the others might say, this keeps the Studebaker name out in the public, as I'm sure you will drive the wheels off this sucker.
                      Great post Corley.

Comment

Nice work. Like the others said, don't be throwing away that nifty Champion six with the speed parts, or the the overdrive transmission that it almost certainly has behind it.

The Skyline should be a nice motor, but I'll bet you the exhaust note of the Champion sounds better.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post

The Skyline should be a nice motor, but I'll bet you the exhaust note of the Champion sounds better.
                          how come gord...I don't get it, aren't both 6's set up with crank throws 120 degrees apart?? shouldn't they sound the same...or are you making reference to the split e-manifold on the champ engine...48 skyliner can get around that by using the larger skyline 6 because, IIRC, I think they have twin turbos mounted in tandem...or was that the beemer 6?? Just wondering, that's all. cheers Junior.

(ps, took the stude out on highway 2 south to Okamatoks, then west...wind was howling, thought the Stude was going to get blowed off the road...must have been gusts of 100k's, took me by surprise when I was going 120, then the wind hit me head-on, felt like I lost 100hp. 6am, temp was 15, by the time I got home at 7 am temp was 8. crazy weather!)
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I bought this 48 Starlight coupe because it had a presentable body and paint, a recently redone interior and a very nicely refinished dash. I will do this conversion, drive it next summer and then decide if I really want to strip it down and redo the body and paint to show quality --probably not. The way it is, I can park it in the supermarket lot and not worry about it. My biggest motivation for repaint is that I really don't care much for this color.

I plan to paint the engine compartment a metallic grey color, which will look OK with just about any color I might use later. If you looked at the engine compartment in my Skyline RX-7 in the link posted above, you can see how Sean and I do things. Nothing in that engine compartment is chrome, polished aluminum or any color except silver and black. Most of the tuner crowd doing these swaps want a lot of bling - chrome, polished bits, anodized aluminum in red, blue, green gold, purple until the whole thing looks like an Easter egg. But when they see mine, it is like some revelation - "gee, it looks like it belongs there." My previous RX-7 had a Ford 302, had everything polished aluminum, Ford blue or black. I drove it for 9 years, had a lumpy cam and a 3 inch exhaust. I had fun setting off car alarms everywhere I went, and it was fun to drive, but the Skyline motor is almost as fast, VERY smooth and quiet - a much more civilized car.

I helped Sean pull a VG/VQ or whatever it was from a J30 and by the time we got it out, he had mentally created a long list of things that could only be accessed by removing the engine - a real nightmare to work on. And they will never come close the the fuel mileage I am getting with the RB20. I never considered anything but the RB motor for the Studebaker - it is a straight six, just looks like it belongs there. With the custom intake and a few other changes, I think even the Nissan crowd will be confused at first look.

No matter what wheels I choose, some people will like them and some will hate them. I like the look of these Nissan 17x7 alloys, bought them cheap with usable tires, and I may at some point paint them a darker color so they are not so prominent, but not black. I think they are modern, but not radical - just the look I want.

So I have a very nice running Studebaker Champion straight six motor with an Offenhauser manifold and dual carbs, full dual exhaust system, very nice three speed with overdrive that works perfectly, a radiator, good solid rust free fuel tank, complete front suspension, rear suspension , driveline, and one of those electric vacuum pumps and vacuum wiper mechanism that seems to work very well. I have a video of this thing starting, running through the gears, driving down the road, showing good oil pressure etc. My electrical genius friend, who makes his living building starters and alternators, has put all the best upgrade parts in both the 6 volt starter and alternator and assures me they are now bulletproof. The motor does not smoke at all, but I never did a compression check. Can anyone give a clue how much all this stuff is worth?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebuilt  6 volt starter,alternator.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1683964Click image for larger version

Name:	23 Sept Monday engine removal.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1683963
                            Last edited by 48skyliner; 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM.
                            Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                            See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

two thoughts the Japanese engine in a Studebaker almost made me puke. But......better to see it on the road than rusting away somewhere. Could you not have put that much work into a Stude. to modernize it?
                              Last edited by hausdok; 05-26-2016, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X