Hemmings Concours d'Elegance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings Concours d'Elegance

I'm taking my Packard Hawk to this show on Sunday in Saratoga Springs, NY. One of the featured marques is "Class of 58". Has anyone had any experience with the Hemming's car shows? It's a 4 1/2 hour drive from where I live in PA, so we're going to spend a few nights up there. The weather is supposed to be great. We've never been up that way before, so any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Larry Y
    North Wales, PA

I attended one of their week night cruises (I think it was a Wednesday) during the summer a few years ago when I was vacationing in New England. Nice show, drew a pretty good selection of cars. Very nice people (both Hemmings personnel and visitors). Also, FREE POPCORN!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Larry, I just looked at the show listing, it seems to be "*ENTRANTS LIMITED TO: Pre-1989 Sports Cars, GTs and all Exotics, from Italy, Great Britain, Germany, France, Sweden and Japan.
      Not that yours isn't exotic....in the eyes of the beholder.
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
        Larry, I just looked at the show listing, it seems to be "*ENTRANTS LIMITED TO: Pre-1989 Sports Cars, GTs and all Exotics, from Italy, Great Britain, Germany, France, Sweden and Japan.
        Not that yours isn't exotic....in the eyes of the beholder.

Here's a link to their show:

Larry Y
        North Wales, PA

Comment

Not sure how much touring around you want to do, but there are a lot of attractions in and around Saratoga Springs, including a scenic railroad. Burlington, VT is a very pretty few hours drive north, and has lots to see. The old French and British forts and new bridge across the southern end of Lake Champlain at Crown Point are worth the drive. Was just there last week, and the leaf-peeping will be perfect.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Studebaker showing at Hemmings Concours

Thanks for the info Skip. We had a fantastic weekend in Saratoga Springs at the Hemmings Concours D'Elegance.
            Saw a lot of nice cars and met a few Studebaker owners. A well worth trip. Here's a few pictures.

Larry Y
            North Wales, PA

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for sharing Larry.
              Jim
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Wow, Larry; very nice photos and presentations; thanks for the report.

Your Packard Hawk looks great, and thank you for referring to the car's limited-slip differential by its correct nomenclature: Twin Traction. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by larryyano View Post
                  Flamingo was not unique to Hawks and convertibles. Studebaker later made Flamingo available on non-convertible Larks a couple of months after 1961 production started.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Your Packard looks excellent!
                    I do have one comment. It may just be the picture, but your lower front grille pan appears to be black rather than white.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for one of the best picture postings in recent memory!
                      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                      jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        Thanks for the pictures. Your Packard looks excellent!
                        I do have one comment. It may just be the picture, but your lower front grille pan appears to be black rather than white.
                        Good eye Gary. I didn't catch it until I started putting it together. It should be body color and I had planned to get to address it 2 years ago, but other things took precedent. It's on the list. Thanks.
                        Larry Y
                        North Wales, PA

Comment

Larry, It was nice to meet you both at the Concours. The Saturday cruise in spectacular was just that. Lots of nice cars to see both days. Saratoga Springs is a beautiful city with lots of restaurants and lots to do! Here's a link showing the winners! http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...urs-delegance/

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                          studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Flamingo Colour Unique to Hawks and Lark Convertibles

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            Flamingo was not unique to Hawks and convertibles. Studebaker later made Flamingo available on non-convertible Larks a couple of months after 1961 production started.

Craig
                            Please check the Turning Wheels featuring the '61 Hawk dated June of 1989 on page 8 it states that at the introduction time the Flamingo colour was limited to Hawks and Lark convertibles as I stated and later it became an option on all '61 Studebaker cars. This car was built in December of 1960. So, at the time of production, Flamingo was unique! This is a real Flamingo car as per the build sheet. Roly Lusted

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                            studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
                              Please check the Turning Wheels featuring the '61 Hawk dated June of 1989 on page 8 it states that at the introduction time the Flamingo colour was limited to Hawks and Lark convertibles as I stated and later it became an option on all '61 Studebaker cars. This car was built in December of 1960. So, at the time of production, Flamingo was unique! This is a real Flamingo car as per the build sheet. Roly Lusted
                              It was November, 1960 Flamingo became available on all Studebaker cars.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X