Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LATE 1965 Studebaker Commander 4 door Sedan PARTING OUT.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LATE 1965 Studebaker Commander 4 door Sedan PARTING OUT.........

I bought a 1965 Studebaker Commander sedan the other day. It used to belong to "Cultural Infidel" (Sean?). It appears to have come from the "Bell Collection".

The car is a late '65 with "floating" gas pedal, and flanged "TT" rear axle (90% sure). It is a 4 door and has some rust, but not too terrible.

I have a 1950 Studebaker 2r truck with a smallblock. I watched this car on Craigslist for a long time. I called on it..but never looked. Then it came BACK UP for sale. I called, took my time and eventually bought it, (you can sense the enthusiasm). I figured since she runs so well, is basically a smallblock chevy 283, and is a Studebaker, I would buy it.

After I pull the "Thunderbolt" and a few odds and ends..... she will likely go to the "Pick and Pull".

Time is of the essence. I have an RV parking area at the side of my house. The car can sit there for a few weeks after I am done pulling the engine. I have 3 old cars and not enough room..... so I will not keep this car here for long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1079.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1740700Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2217.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1740701Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1084.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1740702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1085.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1740703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1128.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1740704

Looks like someone wrecked the Left front fender since I last saw it, we "know" the former owner from being here on the Forum and personally know the prior former owner, or is it the Prior, Prior Former owner?!!

It should have many good parts mostly only useable on a '64 to '66 Lark Type 4 Door.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think that's an optical illusion, that pic came off the internet. Driver's fender is OK for what it is.

Amazing what technology can do! This is the first car I have ever owned that is "INTERNET FAMOUS" (photos of it ALL OVER the internet). That's how I found the connection to the PO, you guys and everything else. Otherwise I would have gone about my business of pulling the engine and anything else I thought was cool and scrapping the car unceremoniously................

Thanks.......

Comment

Actually,

I have a question about the car since you know the previous owners.........

I would REALLY like to know why the engine is BLUE.

It runs REALLY good. No smoke, no noises, idles nice. And the VIN pad is stamped with a "Studebaker" number. From the research I've done with the stickers it has...the engine should be ALL BLACK. I will clean it up and go Black with YELLOW rocker covers (trying to save the stickers).

Just curious.............. Anybody, anybody? Bueller?

Comment

I hope someone can salvage the windshield. I looked locally (So. Cal.) for nearly two years and never found one. There was ONE on Ebay but that would have been $800 by the time it arrived. Eventually I purchased a windshield that has scratches and a bulls-eye. It wasn't even a '64-'66. It was a '63 with the upper corners cut. I had to (well... my son had to) go 750 miles round trip to get it! Thankfully he was "passing through" but if he hadn't, I would have needed to. At least from my experience these are nearly unobtainium.

Sadly this is the 4th or 5th windshield I have know of that is WAY too far away. But, maybe not for someone else. Just one errant stone bouncing down the road will make you wish you had a spare.

Tom
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

The motor mounts and trans crossmember are desirable. Be sure to pull those.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by A.D.D. View Post
              Actually,

I have a question about the car since you know the previous owners.........

I would REALLY like to know why the engine is BLUE.

It runs REALLY good. No smoke, no noises, idles nice. And the VIN pad is stamped with a "Studebaker" number. From the research I've done with the stickers it has...the engine should be ALL BLACK. I will clean it up and go Black with YELLOW rocker covers (trying to save the stickers).
              Just curious.............. Anybody, anybody? Bueller?
              It usually means it was rebuilt, but isn't it just the Intake that was replaced and painted?
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Three things. First crap!!!!!!!! Since I joined the forum I have been wanting to make my avatar the grateful dead logo with a lazy S instead of a thunderbolt. I always thought they looked similar. I even wanted to make a back patch out of this idea and you!! Beat me too it.
                Second Is the rear a 3.07 for sure? Even so how much for the rear? I can get stuff shipped cheap through fed ex freight, if you could drop it off at there location.
                Third. Don't worry about saving the stickers studebaker international has them brand new.

Comment

Thanks for the replies....

Yes..I assume the engine was rebuilt. I have had 20+ 283's over the years and this one runs as good or better than most.

Given that it was used as a daily driver on todays GARBAGE gasoline... I am hoping and assuming it has hardened valve seats. Besides that, I would like to know if cylinders were honed, bored 30 over, 40 over, 60 over? Crank turned 10, 20? etc.

Smallblock engine rebuilds run about $1000 these days with machine work, accessories, etc, start to finish....a little less if everything goes perfectly. So buying this for the engine was a no brainer if it continues to run like this for 20k-50k miles (especially if I find out it was rebuilt by someone that knew what they were doing).

The ENTIRE engine is 70's Chevy blue. It looks like the stickers were taped off when it was painted. Also, I have seen like 2-3 different stickers. Some say "283".

As far as the "Stealie".... rumor has it that the "Steal your face" was based on the blue and red Studebaker logo. Considering Owsley had a Studebaker truck that hauled the bands gear around...seems plausible? Who knows what influenced it?

The rearend? I don't know" PM me. It'll make the car immobile, but I have shipped bigger and heavier stuff..... you set it up and I'll strap it to a pallet......

Comment

I would be interested in the motor mounts and transmission crossmember. Thanks

Comment

How difficult is it to remove the three lenses from the gauges, speedometer and clock bezel? Yours are much more clear than mine, but it's not worth the time or bother if major dis-assembly is involved. Thanks.
                      Sue

Comment

I got something real small I could use. All three of the ivory toggle switches on the dash would be a great thing for my car. And they'd fit in one of those flat rate boxes too.
                        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Sorry Mr. A.D.D. but none of us or the prior owners knew the Original Owner or the one who did the Rebuild to answer your questions.

I can say this though, seeing that Blue Engine we did have to wonder if maybe someone replaced the McKinnon Motors LTD, Canada Engine with a Forged Truck Crankshaft with an ordinary, run of the mill Chev. Car Engine.

The Engine Serial Number was specific to Studebaker and would tell the story. The Valve Covers could be the only thing original.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I can say this though, seeing that Blue Engine we did have to wonder if maybe someone replaced the McKinnon Motors LTD, Canada Engine with a Forged Truck Crankshaft with an ordinary, run of the mill Chev. Car Engine.
                            Rich,
                            All Chevy 265, 283 and 327s had forged crank shafts until 1968. We've done this before, but the 283s in 65 and 66 Studebakers were no different than those installed in Chevy cars and trucks (there is no differences between a Chevy car 283 and a truck 283 BTW). Do you really think GM would tool up to produce a "special" motor for a customer as small as Studebaker and that Studebaker would or could pay extra for one?

I also thought it could be a 70's 350 being that color, but in post #4, A.D.D states it has a "Studebaker number" stamped in the block (which I take to mean a 9 digit number starting 205 or 805)
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

YES....the Thunderbolt 283 has a serial number that starts with "805" on the pad in front of the Pass. cylinder head. Yes..... as far as I know, Thunderbolt 283 engines are the same as any other 283...EXCEPT....this one was BORN in a Studebaker. Which has a "COOL" factor for me. 99% why I bought the Commander, when I could have built a nice 350 SBC. Some people say it's not a REAL Studebaker. Me personally, all politics aside, I have the best of both worlds. My Truck will have a belly button smallblock Chevy in it....... But it will be ALL STUDEBAKER.

Thanks for question about parts.

I am pretty easy to deal with....but you can't please everyone So PM me and I will do what I can to get you what you need.

As far as prices......... I have NO IDEA what a lot of this stuff is worth. BUT... I am also not greedy.

I have been into cars since LONG before I could drive. And around them since I was swimming in the belly (while Mom was breathin' that LEADED GAS). Supply and demand, and a lot of this stuff is probably pretty hard to find... so be fair with me and I'll do the same. If a price seems out of line, let me know.

Whatever I sell will recoup what I paid for the car and GO DIRECTLY BACK INTO MY 1950 TRUCK (which is how I operate).

OH, and before I forget. I also have a medium sized pile of Studebaker TRUCK parts ( 1949-1953 ). I will try to list them as well. Need to inventory what I have, what I need and what is extra.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X