Three New Ponies Added to the Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three New Ponies Added to the Stable

62 Daytona 4 speed, Optioned out as they ran out of space and had to double up on the bottom

63 Deluxe Sedan 4spd. Funny thing is, it has a fender for a SC air-filter mounting and Blue Mist paint.. Pictures to follow on this.

Anyone care to elaborate on the "80 Conv Group?"

64 Daytona Power Shift.. Interesting Engine number penciled in PO 312.. Purchased Order?

Engine number on the last one looks more like PJ 312. Hopefully someone here will be able to decipher that.
    Nice haul. Can't wait for the pictures.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

wild guess that conv group on the second Daytona means "convenience group" but in a 60's Studebaker, would that be glove box light, passenger side mirror????

and BTW, nice selection of closely related cousins you have there
      sigpic
      JohnP, driving & reviving
      60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
        wild guess that conv group on the second Daytona means "convenience group" but in a 60's Studebaker, would that be glove box light, passenger side mirror????

and BTW, nice selection of closely related cousins you have there
        I see your point.. They are from the side of the 289 4bbl family with big holes in the floor board..

Comment

THREE TOTALLY great ordered Studes!

Wow what a score! I am pretty sure no one has ever owned THREE Arizona delivered Cars 2 Tucson and one Phoenix, all with 289's, all 4 Barrel, all with floor shifts, amazing! How is that possible? You got them all from one original collector owner?
          I have to say those Arizona Dealers really knew how to ORDER a sweet Car!

And these Production order copies are all the old original type printed on new Line Set blank forms on the original SASCO machine from Newman & Altman.

The '63 Lark 8 Regal 2 dr. Sedan does have some very early typos carried over from what the typist was used to on '62's.
          The order was written 08/22/62 and it's only the 94th V8 built, so it may be THE first or very close to the first F4 Regal 2 Door built! That is very likely why it was called the old '62 bottom of the line "Deluxe".

And my guess is the #80 Convenience Group is or includes the Dome Light Door Switches and probably the Vanity.

The '64 Engine is PJ312 a 289 built Sept. 12, 1963

Last edited by StudeRich; 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Interesting that all three cars, shipped to Arizona, did not have Factory A/C!

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
              Interesting that all three cars, shipped to Arizona, did not have Factory A/C!
              I think they ordered COOL Cars, NOT Cold Cars!
              If some of these were Ray Tanner Cars that explains the "Performance" Ordering, they must have had a younger more "Car Guy" Sales Manager who ordered many 4 Speeds and Avanti Powered Cars, but the Premium Fuel thing was not for everyone, so these reflect that thinking.

There are probably TWO reasons for the NO Air, first very few people in '62-'64 buying Low to Mid Priced Cars could afford an Option that cost 1/4 or more than the price of the Car, not to mention that few non-luxury cars were ordered with Air even in hot climates, we were happy with the 4 Window, 2 Air Vents and 2 Vent Window type of A/C!

Second, a performance Car does NOT want to be slowed down by all that weight and when operating, all the HP loss.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 09-25-2013, 11:47 AM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I like the body numbers on the 63 car. 63V-F4-123.

Comment

Maybe a dumb question, but, on the '62 production order, what is '86 front wing' and '87 rear wing'? I'm also surprised that none of these Az. cars had A/C. Although it was a pricey option in those days. Probably a 15-20% jump in bottom line price.

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
                    Maybe a dumb question, but, on the '62 production order, what is '86 front wing' and '87 rear wing'? I'm also surprised that none of these Az. cars had A/C. Although it was a pricey option in those days. Probably a 15-20% jump in bottom line price.
                    The Front and Rear Bumper Corner "Wing Guards", Standard on Cruiser and Daytona, that make the bumpers look just like the later one piece '64 to '66 Bumpers.

They should not have needed to add them to the Production order for pricing because they were Standard, but being New for '62 maybe that was to make sure they got on the Car.

I am pretty sure that the Window Sticker and the Production order were really not identical because some options were Standard or like the Rear Axle Ratio, no charge.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-25-2013, 01:33 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
                      I was born and raised in Tucson (no sympathy needed).. Our house had a swamp cooler. My first car was a 62 Daytona which I got running in 1975, no AC! I worked for my dad and drove a 61 service truck, no AC. In Tucson there are really only 3 to 4 months of weather some would consider "Hot!"

My dad said, "Why pay for something that was going to break!"

I did not own a car with AC until 87, which was a Subaru hatchback!

I was a kid that was outside all the time doing something, (hardly any thing bad ) and I never thought about the temperature until the day I started to drive the Subaru!

You would be hard pressed to find any car in Tucson in the 70's, other than a Cadillac, Lincoln or an Imperial that came with AC standard option.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      The Front and Rear Bumper Corner "Wing Guards", Standard on Cruiser and Daytona, that make the bumpers look just like the later one piece '64 to '66 Bumpers.

They should not have needed to add them to the Production order for pricing because they were Standard, but being New for '62 maybe that was to make sure they got on the Car.

I am pretty sure that the Window Sticker and the Production order were really not identical because some options were Standard or like the Rear Axle Ratio, no charge.
                      It looked like the 62 was coming down to the end of the 62 productions and gearing for 63.. So they threw the left over pieces on it to clear inventory..

Just speculation of course..
                      Last edited by SScopelli; 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

i can relate to that. i lived in the "upper Mojave" (Hesperia, Ca) from '80 to '86. although we did cool off in the winter, similar to the KIngman, Az area, a cool day in the rest of the year was in the 90's. dry heat is just different that what most of the nation experiences. i had several vehicles without a/c while there. of course i was 30 + or - years younger then.

looking forward to pics!
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I noticed all three had undercoat. Therefore - There's no need to fear....
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                            I noticed all three had undercoat. Therefore - There's no need to fear....
                            Here is what I think of that undercoating..

Comment

Sebastian, now I know why you appreciate my thread on convertible hog troughs! Nice work.
                              The Golden Sand 64 hardtop are you keeping it?

Regards,
                              Brian
                              Brian Greenall
                              Melbourne, OZ
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X