My 1966 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1966 Daytona

My Daytona arrived this morning, what a wonderful car, got in and drove her, no worries with LHD, felt like I'd done it a million times before.

No photos, having too much fun with my new daily driver.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Congrats John!

Now don't forget what continent you're on and start driving on the wrong side of the road or anything

PS - Pictures would be nice, too
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Congrats, John; 'glad you are enjoying it.

Photos of it here for those who wonder what you have, when it was on this side of the Pacific Ocean and owned by Bill Pressler:

Enjoy! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And another close-up of it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=fairgrounds

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
          My Daytona arrived this morning, what a wonderful car, got in and drove her, no worries with LHD, felt like I'd done it a million times before.

That sure didn't take long to get to Australia. Glad to see it has found a good new home.

Stu Chapman

Comment

no worries with LHD, felt like I'd done it a million times before.
            Only problem will be going to the right hand door to get in and realizing the wheel is on the wrong side....

Comment

John, glad to hear it made it there and you're enjoying it. I know it was rock-solid and the best-condition Stude I had owned.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                That sure didn't take long to get to Australia. Glad to see it has found a good new home.

Stu Chapman
                Its been in the country for 10 mths!
                Brian Greenall
                Melbourne, OZ
                sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm delighted and have just had a 200km drive to loosen her up after sitting for a time.
                  Very pleased with her and she'll be serviced next Tuesday and be gone over.

Just for interest, the following issues were noted and have been or will be corrected:
                  Right reversing light disconnected, tire nut the tie down bolt screws into needs welding, windscreen washer bag empty and missing the rubber hose to enable it to work, windshield wipers don't work on low, left door skin not attached to frame, requires welding, left door trim panel not clipped to door (it is at the top) clips appear to be missing and possibly requires a new board to attach trim to, drivers side front carpet melted under mat, cigarette maybe?

Air conditioning is not cold despite remarks to the contrary that it was so cold it had to be turned off, may have been when re done but isn't now. 9 year old tires (new Diamondback's on way). Refreshaire system non functional as rear parcel shelf missing the vent holes (new one on way).

None of the above detracts from my love for a car I will keep forever - I point out to the seller that "this car needs nothing" wasn't true and I would have failed the government inspection but for a good friend who went through the car with me to ensure all was well. The inspectors and it seems just about everyone love her.

Just spoke to a Ford Ute driver at the Gas Station and he actually knew what she was and that it has the 283 engine (then again it says 283 on the badges), very nice to talk to him.

If Stu Chapman could arrange to have his signature (Maybe a Gordon Grundy one too) engraved on a plaque listing his job description, I would be honoured to mount it in the car in tribute to a man who worked so hard to successfully produce a vehicle of class and excellence that all Studebaker lovers can be proud of.
                  Last edited by avantilover; 09-27-2013, 10:48 PM.
                  John Clements

Comment

One other thing intrigues us, namely the name of the paint color. There is reference to her having been repainted in Seafoam Green during her restoration when the original color was Niagara Blue Mist.

What is she now and does anyone have paint code information should repairs be required?
                    John Clements

Comment

One other thing intrigues us, namely the name of the paint color. There is reference to her having been repainted in Seafoam Green during her restoration when the original color was Niagara Blue Mist.

What is she now and does anyone have paint code information should repairs be required?

I had heard it was Niagara Blue Mist, but when I got there it looked green to me. I wasn't very knowledgeable about '66 colors. I saw another '66 at the '12 South Bend SDC national though and it was the identical color. I'm wondering if that is indeed the hue it is supposed to be. Sort of like how "Avanti Gold" isn't really gold.

I never once tried the AC during my ownership. I know it had been serviced per the previous owner, but he told me by the end of summer it was down again. All three of my Studes had factory AC and I never enjoyed a cool trip in any of them! LOL
                      Last edited by Bill Pressler; 09-28-2013, 01:58 AM.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

BTW, since John is the second owner since me, I guess it's time to take the pic of the car off my signature line! I'll hate not having a Stude to display there though. ):
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                          BTW, since John is the second owner since me, I guess it's time to take the pic of the car off my signature line! I'll hate not having a Stude to display there though. ):
                          Please keep the signature photo Bill, we can share it. I like looking at it.

Interesting re the air conditioning I'll tell my mechanic. We'll get it going.

We're going to look at her condition with a view to restoring her again next year when I get my 1962 lark back. Gonna be strange sitting on the right again. Lol.

I mean the lark is RHD, the Daytona will stay LHD.
                          John Clements

Comment

Well, I'm delighted and have just had a 200km drive to loosen her up after sitting for a time.
                            Very pleased with her and she'll be serviced next Tuesday and be gone over.

Just for interest, the following issues were noted and have been or will be corrected:
                            Right reversing light disconnected, tire nut the tie down bolt screws into needs welding, windscreen washer bag empty and missing the rubber hose to enable it to work, windshield wipers don't work on low, left door skin not attached to frame, requires welding, left door trim panel not clipped to door (it is at the top) clips appear to be missing and possibly requires a new board to attach trim to, drivers side front carpet melted under mat, cigarette maybe?

Air conditioning is not cold despite remarks to the contrary that it was so cold it had to be turned off, may have been when re done but isn't now. 9 year old tires (new Diamondback's on way). Refreshaire system non functional as rear parcel shelf missing the vent holes (new one on way).

None of the above detracts from my love for a car I will keep forever - I point out to the seller that "this car needs nothing" wasn't true and I would have failed the government inspection but for a good friend who went through the car with me to ensure all was well. The inspectors and it seems just about everyone love her.

Just spoke to a Ford Ute driver at the Gas Station and he actually knew what she was and that it has the 283 engine (then again it says 283 on the badges), very nice to talk to him.

If Stu Chapman could arrange to have his signature (Maybe a Gordon Grundy one too) engraved on a plaque listing his job description, I would be honoured to mount it in the car in tribute to a man who worked so hard to successfully produce a vehicle of class and excellence that all Studebaker lovers can be proud of.
                            John...PM sent.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                              I had heard it was Niagara Blue Mist, but when I got there it looked green to me. I wasn't very knowledgeable about '66 colors. I saw another '66 at the '12 South Bend SDC national though and it was the identical color. I'm wondering if that is indeed the hue it is supposed to be. Sort of like how "Avanti Gold" isn't really gold.

I never once tried the AC during my ownership. I know it had been serviced per the previous owner, but he told me by the end of summer it was down again. All three of my Studes had factory AC and I never enjoyed a cool trip in any of them! LOL
                              John, I'm not anywhere near my TW's, but I think the '66 at SB in 2012 was photographed in the TW issue that covered the winners that year. The car looked identical to mine (yours), except had '64-65 wheelcovers and I think I remember the owner saying that the production order actually specified that. The owners were from Michigan. Again, the color was identical to "our" car.
                              Last edited by Bill Pressler; 09-28-2013, 12:44 PM.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X