Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tribute to Avanti "Operation Airlift"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to Avanti "Operation Airlift"...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6195_zpsc5cd8d45.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1740657

I attended a combination car and air show yesterday at the Hagerstown, MD Regional Airport...the former home of Fairchild AIrcraft. They have a museum there and a number of Fairchild aircraft including this C-82 Packet like the one used for "Operation Airlift" where two of the then new Avanti were flown around the country to introduce the car to dealers.

At the conclusion of the car show the museum people were more than happy to allow me to take photos of my '02 Avanti with their C-82. They loved the story of the airlift and kept calling other museum members over to hear the story. The C-82 shown is the last example of the aircraft that was flying.

What is also very interesting and a surprise to the museum people was that they also own the exact aircraft that was used by Studebaker in 1962 for the airlift! By using the tail number of the aircraft in original airlift photos the plane can be traced to the Hagerstown museum...though it's the fuselage only that seems to have survived...kind of amazing in its own right. I would have expected the odds were the airlift C-82 would have been scrapped or left derelict somewhere in the world, if traceable at all.

I was told that yes...they own that fuselage with that registration number, it's in Wyoming at this time being rebuilt. At some point in the future it will be shipped back to the museum for static display.

What they suggested to me is a really nice proposal if it can worked out and approved. They offered that when the original airlift fuselage is returned, maybe it can be arranged to open the cargo door and attach the ramps so Avanti owners can run their car up the ramp for photos...this would not include driving into the fuselage itself but the ramps only, like their car was being loaded or off-loaded like in 1962.

Then one of the museum guys said "Hell...we can do that with this complete C-82 to make it look even more realistic!" THAT is one great offer. While details would have to be worked out for such an event, with approvals from the museum staff, etc., that would be a wonderful opportunity for Avanti owners with photos ops for the AOAI and SDC at the same time.

It seems to me the best way for this would be for a number of Avantis to have this done in one event rather than putting the museum out for occasional photos. Maybe during or just before the Dover International SDC and AOAI meet next year? Anyone coming from the west can arrange to meet at the museum on the same day and time for photos doing this. They could then caravan afterwards to Dover. While it would certainly be possible to make a day trip out of this during the week of the Dover meet, it's roughly a three hour drive from Dover to Hagerstown which could make it difficult at best for such a day trip with other events going on throughout the week. Such a thing would have to be brought up to the host chapter of the meet. I would think arranging a group meet at Hagerstown prior to Dover would be best as everyone would be on the road anyway.

If this can be pulled off, local Hagerstown, Washington and Baltimore news media can be notified ahead of time for coverage if they wanted to attend...that could also be great publicity for the Avanti marque.

What does everyone think? If we can get some consensus and approvals from the AOAI and SDC hierarchy I'd be happy to work with the Hagerstown Air Museum to see if it can be arranged. It's still not a done deal...they would have to approve it.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Great story and opportunity for fun and publicity. Not knowing if the plane will ever reach flying status, but wouldn't it also be great to have the plane at a local airport when an international meet is held out east or people interested could visit Hagerstown while in the area. It would take funding for expenses if possible and would likely be too costly to move the plane. A former Studebaker engineer told me about the pleasant job of showing the new Avanti around the country. Considerable flying and driving was involved.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I remember seeing a lot of these (or C-119's) flying into Orchard Field (later renamed O'Hare field) back when it was purely a military airfield.
      Funky looking to see the backpack jet engine up top.
      (Same thing when the added the extra jet engines to the KC-97 tankers and the P-2 Neptunes).

Wouldn't it be cool to see an all Avanti photo op with this plane when it is restored?
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The Orphan Car Tour visited this museum last year. I mentioned the Avanti connection to one of the docents at that time and they were interested, but apparently didn't pass the story along.
        Your story is great. There were too many people and cars there to take pictures like you are suggesting, but it was possible to climb in to the cockpits of both planes. They did pose cars with the two Fairchild trainers.
        Attached Files
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

53K: The photos you have labeled as C-123s are actually C-119...albeit an ex-RCAF model with a modified nose (for radar).
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
            53K: The photos you have labeled as C-123s are actually C-119...albeit an ex-RCAF model with a modified nose (for radar).
            Yes, I noticed that after I posted the pix. I really knew better, but...
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Is it just me, or is it cool when two hobbies collide?
              The C-82 (and likely the C-119) came from the collection of Hawkins and Powers that was operating out of Greybull, WY. You might know their birds from films such as 'Always' and 'Flight of the Phoenix'. The latter featured a C-119. They had quite the firefighting fleet before a couple of mishaps and a run-in with the Department of Defense brought them down. Their fleet must have been one of the largest collection of oddballs known in aviation- KC-97s, P-2s, PB4Y-2s, these two cargo birds, and more. An auction was held in August 2006, and their fleet was scattered around the country. If that had not happened- they were on my 'short list' of employment opportunities I hoped to pursue when I retired. Oh well.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The C-82 in the photo came from a user in Alaska prior to the Hagerstown Air Museum obtaining it. It's history before that may have gone through Greybull. The C-82 fuselage which is the actual plane that performed the airlift was part of the parts fleet in Greybull and there are photos of it lying more or less derelict on their grounds.

The fuselage is being rebuilt and the museum official I spoke with said it hasn't been determined how it will eventually be transported to Hagerstown...most likely by rail. The current plan as I understood is to display the fuselage only...not as a completed aircraft. Whether that's a space issue or monetary (or both) I don't know...it wasn't elaborated upon.

The mission of the Hagerstown Air Museum is to tell and display the history of aviation there...and much of that history includes Fairchild aircraft...the C-82's, C-119's, PT-19's and others were built there.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  ... history of aviation there...and much of that history includes Fairchild aircraft...the C-82's, C-119's, PT-19's and others were built there....
                  And, last but certainly not least, the A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog), an amazing airplane. They probably won't get one of them for the museum for a very long time if ever as the A-10 is expected to stay in service until 2040.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    The C-82 in the photo came from a user in Alaska prior to the Hagerstown Air Museum obtaining it. It's history before that may have gone through Greybull.
                    Wait, what? http://www.c82packet.com/n9701f.html

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                    They probably won't get one of them for the museum for a very long time if ever as the A-10 is expected to stay in service until 2040.
                    Well...
                    don't be too sure 'bout that.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...ronym%20title=

Sad but true.
                    The A-10 is one AWESOME machine, but it sounds like some folks want to begin numbering it's days...

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeDave57

Sad but true.
                      The A-10 is one [I]AWESOME[/I] machine, but it sounds like some folks want to begin numbering it's days... [/SIZE]

He who snoozes loses Dave...........technology changes!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        He who snoozes loses Dave...........technology changes!
                        So tell me Ed- what 'technology' is going to replace this~

There isn't one.
                        There is not even a suitable replacement on the drawing board.
                        Just like the B-52s~ I think the A-10 needs to hang around.

But anyway- I am glad to hear that the museum is so generous as to allow Avantis on their ramps.
                        I look forward to seeing those pictures!!!

StudeDave '57
                        Last edited by StudeDave57; 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM. Reason: fixed the vid link
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                          [SIZE=3] So tell me Ed- what 'technology' is going to replace this~

There isn't one.
                          There is not even a suitable replacement on the drawing board.
                          Just like the B-52s~ I think the A-10 needs to hang around.

But anyway- I am glad to hear that the museum is so generous as to allow Avantis on their ramps.
                          I look forward to seeing those pictures!!! [/SI

StudeDave '57

I agree, that will be an unusual opportunity to take some great photos. Real calendar material!

Comment

Let's keep this in the transport realm the OP intended

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                            X