PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Studebaker Cruiser on EBay

rudeStude1
09-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Hey all,
new member here and might be pulling the trigger on a 1965 studebaker cruiser on eBay just wanted to get some thoughts on this before I did...what do you think is a fair price? From research they book around $5300?

crusinsusin
09-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the forum, RS1. I am not qualified to give you anything but the most basic, general advice, but I feel your book price is a little optimistic for this car. Besides that, this eBay listing makes me nervous on several counts: the seller mentions several tears in the driver's seat, but (unless I completely missed it) showed sort of close ups of every seat except driver's; says minimal rust on the body, but it looks like it's darn close to rust-through on the fender just in front of the driver's door (very common in these cars); says undercoating has been applied, but this doesn't help if the floor pan was already rusted - just hides it. The rust on the front fender makes me leery about the front floor, especially.

I do hate to slap down your enthusiasm, but without having a CLOSE look at this car, I wouldn't touch it. After looking at it, if I'm correct, especially with the rust, but also the non-working things they admit to, maybe $1500. You can find far better 60's Studes in the $4K-$5K range. Good luck!

Corvanti
09-22-2013, 05:39 PM
agree with Susan.:) plus the seller has never sold anything on ebay before - that always raises questions if it's legit.

for pricing info: if you're looking at "NADA Classic Car Prices", they place a notoriously high value on old cars. others are also guilty.

the Lark and Lark-type experts should be around soon for any "correctness" issues.

i'd pass on this one.

this one from another thread looks a lot better: http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/4075173884.html

rudeStude1
09-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Ok thanks for the info. Is it common for a running studebaker to go for so cheap? ($1500)

crusinsusin
09-22-2013, 07:31 PM
It depends on a lot of things, for example, the model: Hawks & some 50's models are much more sought after & even with rust issues would command more than my '64 and this '65 in the same condition. But if a less popular model has rust issues, the fact that it runs doesn't add a lot to its value, particularly because you can find similar examples in better condition for less than the car guide prices. I kind of pulled the $1500 out of the air, because that's what I'd offer, assuming there is serious rust. I'd have to pay someone to fix it. Someone who can do it themselves might be willing to spend more. But yes, you can get a running Stude somewhere for $1500. It may not look like much & need a lot of work, but it'll run.

My only advice is that if you've got $5000 to spend on a Studebaker, you can do a lot better than this particular one, especially because of the red flags in the pictures and the description.

snowy_buffalo
09-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Just as a heads up on this one. It was on San Antonio Tx Craigslist off and on for over a year at prices starting at about $4000 and decreaseing to $1500 were it stayed for several months until apparently it sold to a flipper(dealer) that has it now. He claims he put $800 in new tires on it which must be some pretty nice tires for $800. He also has it listed on Craiglist now at 2 different prices of I think $5200 and $4000. Lots of surface rust on the hood and near rust thru on one front fender. His eBay pics don't show a lot conpared to what used to be in the original craiglist ad.

Personally I wouldn't touch it for the money he's asking !!

58PackardWagon
09-22-2013, 08:18 PM
I would be very careful on this car as mentioned above. I wouldn't pay more than 1800 depending on the floors. Please keep in mind too that this is a very difficult color to match....so just painting the hood is not an option unless you do not care about a match.

rudeStude1
09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
I decided to contact him by phone. The seller sounds young but was helpful and is sending more pictures today he said. I really don't mind the patina finish and the wife loves this car. The wife doesn't like many cars I bring home so that is a huge factor. He said it has 108,000 miles and has no major rust issues. I did ask about the front fenders and he acknowledged there is a small spot on drivers side that has gone through. The trunk and underbody checked out ok. I think I'm going to wait until the auction is over and possibly make the 7 hour trip with cash (if everything looks ok in pictures) once again thanks for the help amd replys.

I don't really want to spend $5k on a driver but maybe $3500 for a nice solid driver.

Jet Green Daytona
09-23-2013, 10:59 AM
I'd be careful of anyone on ebay with a 0 feedback rating. Just my 2 cents. There was an orange 65 Daytona listed many times on ebay with a seller with no feedback. I really wasn't interested in the car, but when I saw it listed in California one week, and New York a week or two later, I wrote to the seller to see where the car really was. Right off the bat they asked me for my address so they could give me a shipping quote. I wrote back saying I want to come see the car in person, if it is in New York. I was told they didn't have access to the car, but would be able to ship it. At the same time I searched CL in the California area, and the same car was listed repeatedly. This guy might be real, but be careful......

I am no expert on values, but I think you can get a better car for the money you are looking to spend, if you don't mind waiting a bit.

Todd

StudeDave57
09-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Cruisers from 1965 can be pretty darn good rides.
But what do I know- I have only owned and driven one for over 20 years.
So far she has given me well over 200,000 miles of smiles.

And seeing that this car has overdrive it might be even more 'fun' then mine has been.
Having driven my brother's which is so equipped I can say that. ;) :!:

I see a lot of other good points about this car as well.
It has no PS, and no PDBs to worry about.
I see a decent interior and minimal body 'bruises'.
But that rusty fender could indicate more elsewhere.
The key, as has been mentioned, will be to check it over good- especially the frame.

How are the brakes? How bad is the front end?
Does the OD work? What about the heater/defroster?
I see a few 'extra' wires under that hood I'd look over too.

Not knowing the answers to the above questions-
I'd say that $2500 is about as much as I would pay.

StudeDave '57 :cool:

jnfweber
09-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Hey all,
new member here and might be pulling the trigger on this 1965 studebaker cruiser on eBay just wanted to get some thoughts on this before I did...what do you think is a fair price? From research they book around $5300?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Studebaker-Cruiser-All-original-survivor-Runs-drives-/181219374361?_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1064

I've read all the comments so far and will add my 2 cents worth, which is about as much value you should give it. I would not pay more than $1,500 for this car, though I bought the same kind of '65 Cruiser in 2011 for $2,500 with 2 NOS front fenders, which cost me $300 to install, then I had the whole car repainted for $3,300 including repairs to small rust-out areas below rear lights. Then new interior for around $4,000. Add a new windshield for $450. The car has no radio but automatic transmission, and came with 53,000 miles on the 283 with new Edelbrock manifold and AFB carb, plus Turner disk brakes and dual master cylinder (non-power). I also have a '64 Cruiser. Both are very sweet rides, and I feel that as coupes and Avanti's become more expensive, the "sports sedans" will also increase in value. I have attached a photo of my '65. Click on it to see my entire collection.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/jnfweber/65%20Cruiser%20Restored/th_DSC05428.jpg (http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/jnfweber/media/65%20Cruiser%20Restored/DSC05428.jpg.html)