Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quietly sleeping since 1989: '64 Hawk stirs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quietly sleeping since 1989: '64 Hawk stirs...

Local SDC member and good friend is getting closer and closer to having his '64 GT back on the road - it has not been out of its spot among all the Studebaker parts since 1989.

Spark plugs were removed and cylinders oiled - old gas drained out and replace with new (E0) - silicone fluid in master was gone but everything looked brand new so it was refilled, brakes bled, and there is now a good pedal and all wheels are stopping. This morning it was decided to "get some fire in the pipes."

We pushed it 75% out of the garage, hooked up the battery, and primed it a few times - no kicking. Popped the cap and filed the points until they were firing. After about a dozen times of prime starting - finally took the gas line off between pump and carb - after a couple good priming starts, the fuel pump started to push some fuel. Got it all hooked up and it started and ran without a single miss or hesitation - just sat there and knocked them off like it was shut down yesterday... Shifted it into D and it walked out without any problems.

Car was originally a two barrel/flight-o/PS car. When finished it will have disc/powershift/PS/AC/AM-FM/4brl/sport roof and some other things that escape me.

Engine that will eventually go into the car is in Ephrata, PA, having some Studebaker engine experts go through it to make sure it will be in top condition when installed.

Always nice to see another one getting back "in the mix."
    Last edited by 62champ; 09-20-2013, 02:23 PM.

Thanks for sharing this Patrick, I'm sure Rob is a happy camper. Looks like a good day shared by good friends.
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Good plug for the use of silicone brake fluid.......This Hawk sat all those years, yet the hydraulic brake internals are still in good condition!

Comment

I'm willing to bet that this is the actual incident which inspired the Sleeping Beauty story.
        The Hawk being put away for her own protection and safety, then awaken decades later with a "kiss" of true love. Its obvious that the car was stored to protect her from the jealousy of the Evil Queen, (Mother Nature), as she is constantly trying to forcibly recycle our beloved cars back to her bosom, one rust bubble at a time, till they succumb to the overwhelming power of sun, rain, salt and general neglect.
        But, here comes Prince Charming to the rescue. Giving the beautiful Princess that sweet kiss of fresh gas, new brake fluid, and the tender loving care needed to get her heart pumping enough to come alive again.
        I'm getting misty just thinking of how wonderful this is.
        Good luck on the rescue. Looks like it'll be awesome.
        sals54

Comment

Amazing how many of the short run of '64 GT Hawks have survived!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Good plug for the use of silicone brake fluid.......This Hawk sat all those years, yet the hydraulic brake internals are still in good condition!
            Just cuz the brakes pumped up does not mean the internals are OK. I'd still disassemble, inspect, and if in doubt toss out all the rubber parts and install new. The life you save may be your own.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              Just cuz the brakes pumped up does not mean the internals are OK. I'd still disassemble, inspect, and if in doubt toss out all the rubber parts and install new. The life you save may be your own.
              Of course Joe,...but I think we both know what those hydraulic internals would have looked like if good old 'DOT 3' brake fluid was in that system all of those years!!

Comment

Nice looking car. Even looks to be in decent shape. Congrats on finally getting the old girl out and about again.

By the by, I agree with Jim. Sounds like a great day! Thanks for sharing it with us.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

There are few better thrills in the old car hobby than getting one to start and run after a long slumber. Great story and pictures. We got to feel that thrill with you. Congratulations too!
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Just think, it was an antique when it was put into storage.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                      I'm sure Rob is a happy camper.
                      Jim
                      Like a little kid in a candy store...

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        Just as a side here - SN-60 is spot on about how well the silicone fluid works...

Rob got the car licensed, started and tested everything a few times, and then drove it out to my place (six or so miles) for restoration storage about two weeks ago. Although it was put into storage in 1989 - the silicone fluid did its job. All the brakes worked perfectly and there are no leaks - not bad for 24 years of sitting in the same spot with zero activity.

Comment

Any chance we'll see it at York next year?
                          (Yeah I'm thinking about it already!)

Comment

Please take the time to register this slumbering '64 GT Hawk. http://www.studebakergthawkregistry.ca

She will really enjoy that powershift and disc brakes. Don't forget to install the HD torque converter with a higher stall ratio at the same time.

Good luck,

Allen
                            1964 GT Hawk
                            PSMCDR 2014
                            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                            PSMCDR 2013
                            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Judging by the lack of rust; was that car originally from either here in Arizona or California? It looks like it never even saw a single Pa winter.
                              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X