NICE '57 Champion Sedan FS; 22,788 act miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NICE '57 Champion Sedan FS; 22,788 act miles

'Found this while looking at something else on today's Hemmings Daily Blog. Gee, what a pretty car.

They don't mention it, but I see an Overdrive handle....pulled out, so maybe they don't know what it is:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/studebaker/champion/1599087.html

For the trivia-minded, what 1956 equipment is on the car and what [probable] proof do we have that the car was not so equipped when shipped, other than said discrepancy being of 1956 model year vintage? BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 09-18-2013, 03:04 PM. Reason: added trivia question
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

And it even has the CORRECT battery hold-down, and not some ugly red plastic thing!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      And it even has the CORRECT battery hold-down, and not some ugly red plastic thing! Craig
      You bet, Craig! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        They don't mention it, but I see an Overdrive handle....pulled out, so maybe they don't know what it is.
        "We kept pulling the handle but it wouldn't go into overdrive..."

Very nice car - and great color combo.

Learning time for me - is '57 a year when the inner fender panels were painted black and not body color?
        Last edited by 62champ; 09-18-2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Very original and nice '57 Champion!

OK Bob, I got it! It took a bit of thought to figure out the deal with the "Proof". I was looking real hard at the spare wheel, for scratches from the original WHEEL COVERS, when I remembered that you said what proof is there that the Champion did NOT come with wheel covers, Dah.

So yes it does have the 1956 Wheel Covers and the small hub cap CLIPS are still on the Spare Wheel indicating that most likely at some point AFTER the sale someone preferred Wheel Covers and got whatever was handy.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-18-2013, 05:53 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            OK Bob, I got it! It took a bit of thought to figure out the deal with the "Proof". I was looking real hard at the spare wheel, for scratches from the original WHEEL COVERS, when I remembered that you said what proof is there that the Champion did NOT come with wheel covers, Dah.

So yes it does have the 1956 Wheel Covers and the small hub cap CLIPS are still on the Spare Wheel indicating that most likely at some point AFTER the sale someone preferred Wheel Covers and got whatever was handy.
            BINGO! On both counts! BP

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
              /Cut/Learning time for me - is '57 a year when the inner fender panels were painted black and not body color?
              No those have been touched up, most likely the light flash primered and Top Coat oversprayed inner fenders had surface rust through the tiny bit of White paint and needed cleaning up to look as good as the rest of the car.

The firewall is Woodsmoke Gray Metallic, but the fenders were painted Arctic White before installation, upper or all outside and a slight bit inside.

That's one of those "darned if you do, and darned if you don't" items.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I love the color combination. But let me ask, is any 4-door worth $19K?
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                  But let me ask, is any 4-door worth $19K?
                  Maybe if the trunk was full of NOS '53 grill chrome - and I mean full...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    Maybe if the trunk was full of NOS '53 grill chrome - and I mean full...
                    LOL! Too funny...
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

This Champion is nice, but I'd rather the '56 President for about the same price:
                      http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...t/1586787.html

It may be toothpaste green, but I like it! Both of these cars seem worth the asking price to me. Too bad (or maybe it's a good thing) I don't have the cash.
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You got that right, Ron. (Toothpaste Green indeed; that is Seaside Green...and I love it! If you're gonna' have a 50s car, it needs to be 50s colors. IMHO, of course.) BP

Comment

Working...
                        X