I looked at a 56 commander today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I looked at a 56 commander today

hey guys, I need your thoughts on this 56 Commander I think I'm going to look at it Saturday. is there anything particular I should be looking for with it? the owner says it's not run in 2 years and currently needs a battery, he says it turns over by hand. this car has been for sale all summer, are these commanders that hard to sell? he's asking $3500 for it. I don't know how I feel about the flames. Thanks in advance Scott
    Last edited by guyina4x4; 09-21-2013, 01:38 PM.
    Not studes right now

The heck with the flames!....This '56 Commander looks NICE in and out....And it's a 2dr....that's rare. It also a reliable stick shift, with a modern 12 Volt electrical system...SN-60 LIKES IT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Look for rust, rust, and more rust...or evidence it has been repaired...and if so, how well. Driver and passenger floors, especially. I say this because I note the Illinois AV license plate.

If it runs and drives well, $3,500 would be every dime of retail, IMHO. 'Shouldn't need that much at that kind of money, for sure.

Cool car, though; a 1956 Commander Custom sedanet.

See if it is Serial Number 8442095. If so, it was sold new in Illinois at my Dad's dealership:

'Sure hope it is that one! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well that's the thing, it doesn't run, or at least he hasn't tried to start it in 2 years. he also says "The whole car was repainted before I got it not the greatest job they didnt do door jambs or trunk" and this is from the original ad "56 Studebaker commander runs needs a battery. has not been started in a while. three speed on the tree v8. everything works has original motor and trans, spare in trunk. Seats been redone " he hasn't said it has overdrive and I didn't think to ask. not sure about the "spare in trunk" thing either.
        Not studes right now

Comment

Also this may be a dumb question but looking at the dash picture, what is the thing that looks like it is mounted on top, looks original, just not sure what it is?
          Not studes right now

Comment

I'll say one thing......This Stude is 'crying' for a white 'Deluxe' steering wheel!!

Comment

That 'thing' on top of the dash is the cyclops speedometer which also houses the turn signal indicator lights and odometer! No dumb questions, inquiring minds want to know.
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by guyina4x4 View Post
                Also this may be a dumb question but looking at the dash picture, what is the thing that looks like it is mounted on top, looks original, just not sure what it is?
                That's the "Cyclops" speedometer. It is a horizontal drum behind a magnifying lens that rotates left to right as the speed increases. I believe it was standard on most '56-'58's.
                1996 Impala SS
                1967 Jag XKE FHC
                1963 Avanti R2
                1963 Avanti R1
                1956 Packard Patrician
                1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Scott: Check out the nice 1957 Champion photos in my other thread (1957 Champion FS) and you'll see a good photo of the cyclops speedometer arrangement. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Look for rust, rust, and more rust...or evidence it has been repaired...and if so, how well. Driver and passenger floors, especially. I say this because I note the Illinois AV license plate.

If it runs and drives well, $3,500 would be every dime of retail, IMHO. 'Shouldn't need that much at that kind of money, for sure.

Cool car, though; a 1956 Commander Custom sedanet.

See if it is Serial Number 8442095. If so, it was sold new in Illinois at my Dad's dealership:

'Sure hope it is that one! BP
                    I just emailed him about the serial number, he says he not comfortable giving it out by email but the first three digits are 845, model is 56B-f2
                    Not studes right now

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Scott: Check out the nice 1957 Champion photos in my other thread (1957 Champion FS) and you'll see a good photo of the cyclops speedometer arrangement. BP
                      thanks Bob, that helps a lot
                      Not studes right now

Comment

I just emailed him about the serial number, he says he not comfortable giving it out by email but the first three digits are 845, model is 56B-f2

Well, phooey, Scott. If the first three digits are 845, it can't be the one my Dad sold new.

I always thought that was a cool little hot rod , and would hope it might surface some day. Thanks for checking. BP

Comment

I just talked to the owner on the phone, I'm going to look at it Saturday morning. he said the original color of the car is the green of the dash. he stopped driving it because he had knee surgery. he says car ran and drove great. So what should a person do before trying to start a car that's been sitting for 2 years? anything special or just add battery and gas and hit the starter?
                          Not studes right now

Comment

Since STOCK '56 Commanders do not have Oil Pressure Gauges, you could look for the "Oil Press" warning light to go out or just take a guess at it, 10-12 revolutions or more.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

But what if I wanted to get the CarFax?

Good luck checking it out. Just be sure to bring a magnet and check low...
                              But honestly- for $3500 I would want it to run/drive/stop.
                              That's what I paid for my '57 Commander back in 1999.
                              I was able to do all of the above the day I bought her.
                              And the next day I drove Baby from Sacramento to Los Angeles with no issues.
                              A few months later I turned around and drove her out to Florida...

StudeDave '57
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment