Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Churchill book "Champion of the Lark" is finally available!...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill book "Champion of the Lark" is finally available!...

I ordered this book through Amazon back in February and was originally scheduled for publication around April or May. It was continually delayed for some reason...Amazon notified me it wouldn't be available until November. Today...it arrived! I was out in the garage when the UPS truck pulled up and I didn't have any idea what was in the package...CRS strikes regularly it seems. When I opened the package...big surprise!

It has a fair amount of photos...always a big plus. Haven't started reading it yet but will very soon.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

I posted this over 2 weeks ago.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Robert Ebert and wife Marcia are members of our Ohio Region SDC chapter. I couldn't attend a meet this past weekend, but a friend picked up a couple copies of the book from Mr. Ebert himself--one copy for me. I'm anxious to see it.

I've enjoyed the different, Churchill Q&A in the TW lately, although I have to smile a bit...it seems like the interviewer asked long and detailed, if not sometimes 'leading' questions, and Mr. Churchill would reply with something like, "yes, that's right"!
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

I was impressed that He (as Studebaker's former President) had such an 'enlightened' attitude towards 'South Bend Local 5'........ A Good Man!

Comment

I wish to congratulate Dr Ebert on the best book I've read in a long time. The commentary on why he (Dr Ebert) considers that such and such was decided upon is excellent and clarifies my (at least) understanding of events such as why the Packardbakers (so called) were created. Despite the criticism of Packard Lovers, we can see that if this decision hadn't been taken, no Packards would have been produced. The argument will always be made about "real Packard's" vs Packardbakers but you can only do what you can with the funds you have.

Somewhat of a shame that better financial management wasn't implemented following the Packard purchase of Studebaker, you'd think something could have been done?
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Only up to chapter 3 so far but I'll say it is a great book! Interesting to read, full of facts, debunks many myths. The only thing that shocks me so far is that Packard's torsion bar suspension is called 'Torsion Aire'......Twice!!! How'd that happen when everything else is so factual.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I just finished chapter 7 and have found it to be an excellent book. Not really much in the way of new information but the way it is laid out and the accompanying commentary is really helpful in understanding the story. It is a wonder S-P survived past 1956. Churchill did a great job of giving our favorite cars another 10 years.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

So, where are they available?
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

here's one place: http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Lark-...on+of+the+lark
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Thanks, should have thought of that. Order placed.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I liked his conclusion on Byers Burlingame, that, whilst he had no plans on developing future cars, he did the job required, namely create a profit for the Shareholders.

Seems to me a couple of million dollars (guessing) may have been the cost of developing a modern car, one can only wonder whether they would have sold.
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                      X