1960 Hawk in Australia with 2,715 miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Hawk in Australia with 2,715 miles

Up for auction next month is an original 1960 Hawk with only 2,715 miles. Deceased estate in Sydney. Looks good but probably needs some work to get it running after sitting for so long.

Its amazing that cars like this still keep turning up after all these years. Check out the link below for photos.

Chris

Chris, I do love that cool weather shield.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Would make a great rural postal car for someone in this hemisphere...and a great color to boot!

Comment

I'm a cynic. I need to see the pedals of a car. I can't believe someone buys a new car and doesn't drive it. It is a very nice car.
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
          I'm a cynic. I need to see the pedals of a car. I can't believe someone buys a new car and doesn't drive it. It is a very nice car.
          Unless of course they die....which is probably what has happened here unfortunately. More information will be forthcoming as the auction draws closer.

Chris.

Comment

That car looks like it doesn't need anything ! Never have seen one of those weather shields before.....neat item.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Nice car for sure. Will be interesting to see what it fetches and where the new owner in located.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I am sure that you realize how easy it is to change those pedal pads. It used to be commonly done. I would look at a lot of other areas of the car. On an old car, I rarely look at the odometer. It means nothing unless there is documentation to go with it.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A gentleman who had purchased several straight eight Packards special ordered a '56 Executive 2dr.......Was so disappointed with his troublesome new car, that He parked it with around 2500 miles on it.......The car survives....and is now a babied show car, still with about that same mileage.

Comment

As this auction draws closer, some more history has been uncovered. Sold new by York Motors in Sydney to a family in Forbes (country NSW). After the owner passed on it was moved to the town of Forster on the NSW central coast were it was stored under a house, covered with blankets and untouched for about 30 years.

A few local club members has inspected it and the consensus is that it is a genuine 2715 mile car. Still has the original US Royal tires!

Chris.

Comment

I am curious about the seat. Is that a 50/50 or a 60/40 and was that an option on all 1960 Hawks or just export models? I'd love to have that here in Minnesota with the RHD for added cool factor!
                      sigpic
                      Bob Shaw
                      Rush City, Minnesota
                      1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                      "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Originally posted by BShaw View Post
                        I am curious about the seat. Is that a 50/50 or a 60/40 and was that an option on all 1960 Hawks or just export models? I'd love to have that here in Minnesota with the RHD for added cool factor!
                        The seats are the same 50/50 type used on US cars. The photo probably makes it look like they are offset.

Chris.

Comment

And I can now report that it sold at auction yesterday for $36,000.

I think I can safely say that the selling price exceeded all expectations!

Chris.

Comment

I have just found out that the winning bidder was a Stude club member in Sydney who wants to remain unknown for now. But I can say that this Hawk could not have found a better home. Some very careful detailing and a thorough mechanical overhaul will soon begin. A great result all round!

Chris.

Comment

Amazing with that low mileage.

Comment

Working...
                              X