Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know anything about this '55 Cp?

New Stude in town.
    A friend came by the shop today with his newest ride.
    He traded for it in Pigeon Forge, Tn. a week or so ago.
    It's a very nice Rod, but of course there's a few things I would have done differently.
    It has an all Chevy running gear.
    It's as clean and neat underneath as it is on the top side.
    The story is; The Stude was built in north Georgia, then went to Missouri, then to South Carolina, now back to Georgia. All that is hear-say (except the last part).
    Any of youse guys know any history of this Rod?

Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Would one of the items that You 'would have done differently' be below the headlights and above the front bumper??

Comment

nice

at first glance i would have probably switched the paint to vice-versa...
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Would one of the items that You 'would have done differently' be below the headlights and above the front bumper??
        Yeppers....GGG
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I don't recall seeing it. At least not with that paint scheme. Since I didn't have to spend the money or do the work...I'll give it a thumbs up and admire it without critical comment.

It is welcome to park on my grass anytime.
          Last edited by jclary; 09-17-2013, 04:41 AM.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Like the color scheme.... Looks similar to Pimlico Gray and a very complementary shade. I've not been fond of painted chrome pieces on a Stude... but in this case I give it a thumbs up.

Beautiful car.

Comment

I know I have seen pictures of that car before, but that doesn't help you Jerry.

How's Leo?

Comment

Very nice looking 55 coupe. Suits me. jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I like it ! Would like it better if it was in my garage !!
                  Randy Wilkin
                  1946 M5 Streetrod
                  Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                    Like the color scheme.... Looks similar to Pimlico Gray and a very complementary shade. I've not been fond of painted chrome pieces on a Stude... but in this case I give it a thumbs up.

Beautiful car.
                    This '55 was at the Atlantic Zone Meet- painted chrome except the center bar.
                    Attached Files
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                      This '55 was at the Atlantic Zone Meet- painted chrome except the center bar.
                      I really like the looks of that one. I wonder how the acceptance and profitability of the 55 design would have been if Studebaker had produced the car with that smooth nose in a light sheet metal stamping rather than the "front heavy" looking chrome nose? Although I was 10 years old at the time...my impression was a bit of a "let-down" from the sleek earlier models. To a youngster...the Bullet nose cars had ignited imaginations. The muted '52 elicited the same let-down emotion, only to be re-ignited by the '53/54s.

Like the old saying goes..."beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"...but nothing confirms the results better than the market place.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        I really like the looks of that one. I wonder how the acceptance and profitability of the 55 design would have been if Studebaker had produced the car with that smooth nose in a light sheet metal stamping rather than the "front heavy" looking chrome nose? Although I was 10 years old at the time...my impression was a bit of a "let-down" from the sleek earlier models. To a youngster...the Bullet nose cars had ignited imaginations. The muted '52 elicited the same let-down emotion, only to be re-ignited by the '53/54s.

Like the old saying goes..."beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"...but nothing confirms the results better than the market place.
                        Bob Bourke wanted a painted front end (different design) on the 1955s. He was forced to go with the chrome face to make it look like a Buick that competed in the same price range.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Every time someone not familiar with Studes sees my 55K they are a bit unsure. They always recognize a 53/54 and a Hawk, but what the heck is this thing? I tell them the 53/54 was the iconic design and in 55 they chromed it up. Some say they ruined it. The gawkers always give me a sympathetic "Naw. It looks just fine that way".
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                          X