Some people think they have a gold mine in parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people think they have a gold mine in parts

Yesterday I had my Hawk at the Hagley Car Show in Wilmington, DE (I will cover that in another post). Anyway a fellow stops by and says he just sold a 63 GT Hawk w/ 4 speed last week and has some left over NOS parts. Well it turns out he lives only 3 miles from me and has for about 20 years. Never knew he was there! Anyway, when I get back I stop at his place to see what he has. The parts included some side scripts and chevrons, front grill surround (62 - 63) grill insert, plastic seat adjuster covers (which he thinks are worth $200), tail light and back up light lenses, headlight surrounds, (repro) seat belts and some misc. odds and ends. So he says the previous owner valued all this at $3,XXX??? I was pretty shocked at what he said and asked how did that number come about? He did not know, but said the buyer of the Hawk offered $1,500 and I said you had better jump on it because you won't find many Studebaker folks willing to part with that kind of money for what he had.

I guess I am getting old and cheap but wow if there is that kind of money in parts I must be in the wrong end of the hobby.
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Well, people can ask any price they want. The market determines actual value.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm sure there must have been an R-series engine in the stash that you just overlooked

Keep in mind that as time marches farther and farther away from the last day Studebaker made a car, the price is just going to keep rising on parts. Someday some internet archaeologist will Stumble upon this thread, figure out what the cost would be in the currency of their day, and wonder why you didn't jump on that smoking hot deal
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

My suggestion is usually, "List them on eBay and we'll both know what they're worth when the auction is over."

The seller's answer usually is, "That's too much trouble and I don't want to have to pack and ship them."

"Well, then don't be asking individual eBay prices for an 'as-is-where-is' lot sale."

jack vines

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Jack that was exactly the sellers comments. "Well I am going to put them on ebay but would like to sell them in one lot to a Studebaker person." Most of us know what this stuff brings and no one in the right mind would shell out that kind of money, NOS or not.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post

Keep in mind that as time marches farther and farther away from the last day Studebaker made a car, the price is just going to keep rising on parts.
            I'm not sure that's the case. I don't see a lot of young people attracted to Studebakers which tells me that as the current crop of Studebaker lovers gets smaller and smaller that the market for Studebaker cars and parts will get smaller and smaller. My opinion is that there will be a peak in Stude interest and cars and parts prices (we may already be past the peak), then prices will decline and/or cars and parts will just not change hands. There could be exceptions to this for special stock cars and parts (Golden Hawks, R series, 53/54 C/K's) and probably for some modified cars.

Just my opinion.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

There always seems to be the "I'm holding on to it unless I get top dollar" price and the, "I just want to get rid of it" price. Most people wind up paying somewhere in between. Twice a year (Spring/Fall) here in So. Cal. we have a Mopar swapmeet that is billed as the "Largest West of the Mississippi."

I was looking for an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. They are about $150 new. Used I have seen some people asking over $100. While I got one for $30 (because I'm cheap too) the average selling price is around the $75 range. And, you would think condition would dictate price..., no, not really. So, the "value" of the item can be all over the map.

I've attended this Mopar show for years. And I've seen the same overpriced parts year in, and year out. Frankly I think some people use the event as a "weekend museum" to display their treasures rather than they really intend of selling anything.

Tom
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Dick makes a point. As I type this I'm watching 55+ year old men pay top dollar for muscle cars on the Mecum auction. Frankly I don't think todays 20 to 40 something generation will be considering these "their cars" when they get old. 15-30 years from now I think the muscle cars will take a big dive in value. There will be an over abundance and little interest.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I have a hard time throwing things that may still have use left in them and are not replaceable. I bought a bunch (20+/-) of triumph tr3s in the early 70's just to get a few parts that I needed. The cars were worn out and rusted and often weren't more that $20. I kept sheds full of those old parts for future needs. Now when I need one of those formerly rare parts I buy new since the reproduction stuff is often as good or better than the original parts were new.
                  As time goes by and production equipment gets better and more efficient pieces that were un-obtanium have been reproduced at a reasonable cost. We are seeing that now with our studebakers (i.e. C/K rear fenders). I still have sheds full of worthless old triumph parts that I can't bring myself to throw away. Meanwhile I am doing the same now with my studebakers. I'll never learn.
                  Rob

Comment

Most of the public is already unfamiliar with Studebaker's. As time passes, that unfamiliarity is only going to increase.
                    Say you are holding unto a stash of NOS for a '48 Fraiser, perhaps you could ask anything for them, but how many buyers would you find?
                    How many are going to be in the market for Stude NOS in 20-30 years? Supply and demand. The curves can and will cross. There are more used but good and NOS parts now remaining than there are surviving Studebaker's to hang them on.
                    I have loads of nice Stude trim and parts that I can barely give away today, I sure ain't counting on ever making big bucks off it down the road.

Oh sure, I have some parts that a collector/dealer or e-baying speculator would give me a good price for .....but odds are, that unless I use them myself on my own Studebaker restorations, they will end up a 'prize' on some speculator's shelf or attic for another 40 years.

Comment

I like the pickers on ebay that go to estate sales and buy Studebaker parts and have no idea of the market value. The add usually starts out: "Rare Studebaker Part!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                        Most of the public is already unfamiliar with Studebaker's. As time passes, that unfamiliarity is only going to increase.
                        Say you are holding unto a stash of NOS for a '48 Fraiser, perhaps you could ask anything for them, but how many buyers would you find?
                        How many are going to be in the market for Stude NOS in 20-30 years? Supply and demand. The curves can and will cross. There are more used but good and NOS parts now remaining than there are surviving Studebaker's to hang them on.
                        I have loads of nice Stude trim and parts that I can barely give away today, I sure ain't counting on ever making big bucks off it down the road.

Oh sure, I have some parts that a collector/dealer or e-baying speculator would give me a good price for .....but odds are, that unless I use them myself on my own Studebaker restorations, they will end up a 'prize' on some speculator's shelf or attic for another 40 years.
                        I don't know, but you could probably sell the stuff to Ed Reynolds for $.10 on the dollar. It's kinda hard to tell you what your stuff is worth without knowing which cars, or trucks it fits.
                        Bo

Comment

you could probably sell the stuff to Ed Reynolds for $.10 on the dollar.
                          I presently own 5 Studebaker's for which most of the best of this was purchased .....some of it from Ed Reynolds.
                          Say there is 3k worth, Why would I sell it for $.10 on a dollar? Getting 300 bucks return out of my 3 decades of collecting is really not going to do much for my livelihood. ....and certain of these parts individually have a present market value exceeding $300.
                          but buyers only want to skim off the 'cream' and leave the rest.
                          Last edited by Jessie J.; 09-16-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                            I'm not sure that's the case. I don't see a lot of young people attracted to Studebakers which tells me that as the current crop of Studebaker lovers gets smaller and smaller that the market for Studebaker cars and parts will get smaller and smaller. My opinion is that there will be a peak in Stude interest and cars and parts prices (we may already be past the peak), then prices will decline and/or cars and parts will just not change hands. There could be exceptions to this for special stock cars and parts (Golden Hawks, R series, 53/54 C/K's) and probably for some modified cars.

Just my opinion.
                            Absolutely agree.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                              Say there is 3k worth, Why would I sell it for $.10 on a dollar? Getting 300 bucks return out of my 3 decades of collecting is really not going to do much for my livelihood. ....and certain of these parts individually have a present market value exceeding $300.
                              but buyers only want to skim off the 'cream' and leave the rest.
                              You would take it if you wanted it gone, that was all anyone would pay at the time you wanted the stuff gone, AND you were being realistic.

We can hope and wish for more money after 3 decades of collecting, but that doesn't mean reality will allow it. You take that chance when you invest in anything. Car parts are no different.
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X