63 Studebaker Avanti and the Underground Railroad Rescued Kitty Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Studebaker Avanti and the Underground Railroad Rescued Kitty Network

My wife, Wanda, is a cat lover. I'm more of a dog person but 34 years ago when I said my marriage vows I did say "for better or for worst". My wife belongs to a nationwide group called the Underground Railroad Rescued Kitty Network. They schedule cat and kitten transports by cars with volunteers driving 2 or 3 hour legs of a trip and then handing off the feline in a pet carrier with supplies to the next driver until the cat arrives to its new owners. Sometimes I go with her and other times she does the drive by herself or with a friend. She usually rides in comfort in her 2012 Toyota Highlander Limited. This weekend she volunteered to transport a cat named "Nani" from Checotah, OK to Norman, OK (here in the OKC area) where Nani is going to its final owner. The only problem was that she didn't check with me and my schedule as I wanted to attend our SDC chapter's IDYSD event hosted by Officer Dave (aka Studedude) in Perkins, OK.

The Central OK chapter and the Northeast OK chapters had a combined IDYSD event and we toured the the "Wheels of the Past" restoration shop near Cushing, OK. This restoration shop restores Pre-WW II vehicles only and he used a device called an English Wheel to custom form new sheet metal fenders and parts for these old vehicles. He is currently restoring several vehicles including a Packard 475 and a Dort (1 of 4 in existence). Afterwards we shared a picnic lunch and had a photo shoot at Territorial Plaza in Perkins, OK.

We resolved our dispute by driving the avanti and she came along with me on Saturday for the IDYSD event and then afterwards we drove to Eufaula, OK and stayed at a Bed & Breakfast on Lake Eufaula for the night. After lunch on Sunday, we met the cat transport at a service station off of I-40 in Checotah, picked up the Nani the cat and she rode in her carrier in the back seat of the avanti. It's a good thing my avanti has AC as it was 92 degrees here in OK today. The lady that handed Nani off to us said the cat cried and whined a lot and didn't like the pet carrier. However, once Nani was in my avanti she calmed down and not a peep was heard out of her. She even went to sleep, maybe the resonance of a supercharged Studebaker V8 through Flowmaster Series 40 mufflers was agreeable to her. We made the final leg of Nani's trip which started Saturday in South Carolina and finished today when Wanda handed her off to her new owner here in the Oklahoma City area.

Of course the cat lovers and transporters have their own Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/URRKN/ So my wife posted a picture I took of her receiving the cat from the lady we picked her up from on the Facebook page, and naturally I took it in front of my avanti. Well this spurred additional comments and my wife posted a picture of my car she took at the IDYSD event on this page and people started commenting. Here are a few pictures and some screen shots of the comments. I guess this is one way to promote the Studebaker automobile and also enjoy driving it as well. I had a great time and got to put about 500 miles behind the wheel this weekend.

Last edited by okc63avanti; 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM.
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Nice job John. I have 4 cats and all were strays. While you may be a dog person, thanks for giving kitty a lift.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Am a 4 cat person too, all from shelters, the "girls" are just lovely. Well done my friend.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Recently a "dog person" friend took in a kitten I rescued because his fiance fell in love with her. This poor baby kitty was only couple months old and was trapped on a busy 45mph street, people just driving over her like she was trash, I blocked traffic with my car causing many blairing horns, and cursing from others but I got save into my car, and now she sleeps safely every night in her own bed. Love that you used the stude for a rescue, truly one of the nicest avantis I've ever seen, so well done. I could really get into studebaker cat rescue. Thank you!

Edit: I of course also have cats. Stray rescues or children of stray rescues.

Comment

You know the way they say pet's are like their owners?
          (And cat's don't have owners...they have staff).....
          Somehow...Cat's and Avanti's seems fitting....
          That's all I'll say
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

We have both a cat and a dog. The dog gets rides in a Studebaker all the time. The cat never does. I am so ashamed. I will make sure I give the cat a ride in my Studebaker very soon.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nice work in helping the cat (we rescued a old female basset years ago, she repaid us many times, a great pet)...and great Avanti (and Studebaker and old cars in general) PR.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have two rescued "mousers" that patrol my man cave. I took the time and care to have them spayed and give them enough food for them to stay trim, fit, and mouse motivated. However, there are a couple of feral interlopers that have recently begun hanging out, trying to chase my cats off their food, and killing other tiny defenseless little creatures in the area.

Those are not just feral cats...they are now targets!

If your wife wants to drive over and "rescue" them...I'll save the ammo long enough for her to drive over.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Pink the cat (a stray adopted at 7 weeks, now 5 years old) isn't a good car rider. but Floyd, my 130lb German Shepherd, loves to ride! here he is checking out the '51 for the first time. i do cover the seat with at least 4 beach towels!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0853.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1683761
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

My 4 cats are not good passengers. They get to go for a ride once a year. To the vets and back.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Great Story, Great Wife, and Great Car......from...'A Fellow Cat Lover'!

Comment

Something for both the cat lovers and haters-

funny ads, cowboys herding cats, who can ever imagine?

Oh, and great story from the OP. Some friends have done this. (Not me, I'm allergic to them.)
                        Jim K.
                        63 Hawk

Comment

Of course she realized the Avanti was "cat tactic" mode of transportation.
                          John Hull

Comment

So was the transportation completed of Caturday?
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Thanks guys, Nani the cat was delivered to her new owner here in the OKC area in purrr-fect condition
                              sigpic
                              John
                              63R-2386
                              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
                              X