Looking For Front Brake Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Looking For Front Brake Drums

I am in need of a pair of front brake drums for a 1961 Champ 1/2 ton pickup. It is model 6E7. I would prefer new, but any that mic at least 11.050 would be acceptable.
    I have tried several Studebaker sources to no avail. Susan at Studebaker International told me they are tooling up to produce reproductions but won't have them available for about a year.
    Anyone know of a possible source for these?
    Last edited by Commander Eddie; 09-13-2013, 06:42 AM. Reason: Additional Information
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Try Bob Kapteyn, ph: 815-212-2389

112 Bissell St
    Joliet, IL

He had the stuff for my 1948 Champion, and I bet he will have yours, also

oldibmce@sbcglobal.net

Comment

I believe these drums are very much the same as early 50's Commanders.....I sold a bunch of these a few years back to a fellow who always comes to York....local fellow...Irish name....

Comment

Originally posted by oldibmce View Post
        Try Bob Kapteyn, ph: 815-212-2389

112 Bissell St
        Joliet, IL

He had the stuff for my 1948 Champion, and I bet he will have yours, also

oldibmce@sbcglobal.net
        I just spoke with Bob Kapteyn. He said he has a '61 Champ truck that he plans to part out but he has not yet begun to take it apart. He gave me the name of another person, Bob Peterson in Castro Valley who owns a junkyard with Studebaker parts. After a very pleasant chat with Bob Kapteyn I called Bob Peterson and was told he had what I needed. Hurray!
        In my conversation with Bob Kapteyn, however, I learned that he has a 38,000 sq ft building with thousands of parts that he and his son are currently inventorying and setting up a webpage. I plan on adding both of these gentlemen to my resource list.
        Thank you "oldibmce" for the tip. It paid off in spades.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ed, like I said in our conversation I have them and would go through them and mike them but did not have time today maybe tomorrow afternoon...Bob
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
            I am in need of a pair of front brake drums for a 1961 Champ 1/2 ton pickup. It is model 6E7. I would prefer new, but any that mic at least 11.050 would be acceptable.
            I have tried several Studebaker sources to no avail. Susan at Studebaker International told me they are tooling up to produce reproductions but won't have them available for about a year.
            Anyone know of a possible source for these?
            Have you tried Chuck Tubens 503-239-9183 or Jerry Blount here in Portland, OR?

Comment

I talked to you on the phone.
              My friend is coming wednesday to pull the drums on that truck.
              I will have them turned and measured.
              Does anyone travel from your area to Hersey next week and bring you these drums on the way back?
              Packing and shipping will be expensive!

Does anyone else need a frame with a TT rear end from a 1961 "T" cab truck?
              I am also stripping a second 1961 "T" cab with a "V8" or buy the whole truck for $800.00. No bed.
              I am going to finish stripping out a 1963 R1 Super Lark 4 dr. parts car with disks and power brakes.
              I will sell this car with a 1963 4dr. 6cylinder car with a decent body but rough interior. (Racoon was trapped in the car)
              Make a 4dr,Super Lark!

Robert Kapteyn
              815 722 7262

Comment

Bob,
                Use the USPS Flat Rate boxes, The drums should fit in a large FRB, it's about $15.00 per box

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Ed
                  Did you ever consider that the shop does not know how to measure the drums?
                  If your second set was measured by them and found to be out of specs , I would be suspicious.
                  Is your truck still at the brake shop and they will not allow you to take it out , as what happened to me.
                  I had a tow truck get it out and drove it home.
                  There was nothing wrong with the drums , just incompetence of the shop.
                  Last edited by rkapteyn; 10-01-2013, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Great idea Jim about the flat rate boxes.
                    Fill the box with styrofoam peanuts and the postoffice can not destroy them easily.

I never thought about that.
                    Robert Kapteyn

Comment

....brake drums: what's your driving needs and habits ? If its 1500 miles per year for shows and parades, I'd simply scuff out any rust and install new shoes (maybe oversized)and go about your business. If you plan more driving or towing or the speedway.....get some Chevy drums and insure good stopping when needed...

Comment

Working...
                      X