Speedster tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Speedster tires

Can anyone tell me the correct whitewall width for a 1955 Speedster? I'm ready to buy a new set of 7.10 x 15 tires and want the correct whitewall width. Also what are the thoughts on the "bias ply look modern radial construction" tires offered by Coker? I also heard that the Coker whitewalls get "gummy" .

I have the Coker 2.75" on my Packard wagon. They look very good and haven't had any deterioration of the white wall.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I have had several Coker Whitewall tires. Never had them get gummy, but 4 of them developed very fine cracks and two more of them got bubbles under the whitewall. I have replaced them with Diamondback, no problems with them.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Like Pat, I just replaced my Cokers with Diamondbacks. Coker 205s were like marshmallows. The new Diamondback 205s are speed rated and smaller diameter. They look correct.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

ellagee; FYI, I believe the "205's" mentioned are actually Diamondback P205X75R15 size Radial Wide Whitewalls and should look and drive as good as it gets.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich is correct. I know Mr. Palma recommends 195s, but I wouldn't want anything smaller looking than the Diamondback 205/75/15s.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
              Rich is correct. I know Mr. Palma recommends 195s, but I wouldn't want anything smaller looking than the Diamondback 205/75/15s.
              Actually the 195's would be correct for Lark Sedans having 6.40/6.50X15 tires when New, But for Wagons and
              C & K Models, they were 6.70X15 and should use P205X75R15 or even P215X75R15 Tires IMHO.

Nowadays we are very lucky to find anything in even Narrow White Wall, or 75 Series, as the Non-Classic "Driver" Tires are being quickly fazed out by most Mfg's. and 195's are ancient history.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Actually the 195's would be correct for Lark Sedans having 6.40/6.50X15 tires when New, But for Wagons and
                C & K Models, they were 6.70X15 and should use P205X75R15 or even P215X75R15 Tires IMHO.

Nowadays we are very lucky to find anything in even Narrow White Wall, or 75 Series, as the Non-Classic "Driver" Tires are being quickly fazed out by most Mfg's. and 195's are ancient history.
                I went to a local tire store today to buy and have them mount a new 205x75x15 on my spare Dayton wire (15x6) to go in the tire well of the '84 (The other four wires are 15x7 with 215x70x15s, but they won't fit in the tire well). I didn't even think about it being a white sidewall tire. Fortunately they mounted it with the black side out. It did have a nice 3/4-inch whitewall. I had never heard of the brand (Gremax 5000 A/S WSW 975), but I don't care as it will probably never be on the ground.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                X