Laid paint on the Speedster today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid paint on the Speedster today.

Thanks to 52Ragtop's advice I blocked the Speedster one more time this AM at 400 grit. It was a good move as the resulting surface looked beautiful and as with previous blocking a couple more issues were spotted and resolved.

Masked and by early afternoon I was laying Ivory. 1st coat Left half of roof laid beautiful and right half suddenly went dry. The novice forgot to take the plug off the cap on the paint reservoir creating a vacuum impeding flow of paint! Let it dry and wet sanded it out. Two more coats and Ivory looks great everywhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1625.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1740476Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1629.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1740479

After I painted the roof, I put jackstands under the Speedster to make rockers and lower panels more accessible, easier to keep the gun at a 90 degree angle and save my back from bending over.

Name:	IMAG1626.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1740477 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1631.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1740481 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1630.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1740480 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1627.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1740478

Late afternoon I masked for Pimlico Gray and this evening shot one coat. The pictures look better than the paint at this point... all operator error. I have several issues that I'll evaluate and address in the AM. In any case the Ivory will get clear coat by noon even if I have to reload on the Pimlico Gray.

Name:	IMAG1632.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1740482 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1633.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1740483

Project remains on schedule.
    Attached Files

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

WOW!....not sure what Your hurry is, but I think it might be wise to slow down a bit. Once You seal this job with clear there's really no going back. I would say that You'd do very well in a 'flat rate' body shop though!! Best of luck!

Comment

There is a 24 hour window on the base coat according to PPG for a chemical bond to the clear. Just examined and worked on my issues in the Gray.... feeling much better about their prognosis. Gray and Ivory should both be ready for clear in the AM. Only pinhole that I've found is on the Gas fill cover.... a very easy strip and do over.

Additionally, the hurry is that the restore must be finished by January as I have a major commitment for 2014 and that is exactly when the schedule says it will be finished.
        Last edited by mmagic; 09-09-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Just curious what tools are you using? And how much do you have into them. Seems like you lay pretty nice paint for a back yard painter, rather inspirational really. It looks really good in the photos. It won't be before your cruising huh?

Comment

Hey Merlin,

It's okay. They're going to do IDYSD again next year. You don't need to have the car done by Saturday

Though seriously, keep it up. I don't know of any professional restorers that move as steadily on as you do. I'm starting to think I should start rolling worn out Studebakers to your doorstep in the middle of the night, in hopes that you'll adopt them and they'll get restored.
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
              Hey Merlin,

It's okay. They're going to do IDYSD again next year. You don't need to have the car done by Saturday

Though seriously, keep it up. I don't know of any professional restorers that move as steadily on as you do. I'm starting to think I should start rolling worn out Studebakers to your doorstep in the middle of the night, in hopes that you'll adopt them and they'll get restored.
              I should just leave a good V8, 4 speed, all my parts, and my car in his yard and see how long till he gets bored and restores it.

Comment

GTHawk...
                60 gallon 2 stage compressor
                Three (3) $15 HF HVLP guns.... 1.8 for primer; 1.4 for paint; 1.4 for clear with pressure regulator and water filter I move to the base of gun I'm using.
                $10 Flat blocks from HD and HF and $5 foam pads.
                2 DA sanders
                2 $25 angle grinders
                Lots of sand paper

JimC...
                I'm up for re-election in 2014 but have been asked by a number of people to and will likely run for different office. That whole process becomes a major time commitment after the first of the year. So, the Speedster must be done by then.

Comment

It'll make a very good parade car for your election at least.

Comment

If your dedication to public service is half of what you have to the Speedster then there should be no question as to the outcome of the election. Nice work!!
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Between clear coats at the moment.... had to post or do something other than pace so I wouldn't lay the second coat too soon. Looking great... even if I say so myself !!

Name:	IMAG1636.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1683624

Thanks Warren. I feel good about my chances.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                        Between clear coats at the moment.... had to post or do something other than pace so I wouldn't lay the second coat too soon. Looking great... even if I say so myself !!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27382[/ATTACH]

Thanks Warren. I feel good about my chances.
                        Very nice.. Cool breezless days help!

Find a hidden place on the paint, or just have a test piece ready, and tap the paint quickly with your finger..
                        If you get webs, you're ready to apply the next coat..

Comment

It really looks nice....Good for You!

Comment

Merlin,
                            Looking great!

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

Very nice work. Car is looking great. Are you not concerned about over spray mist on the other objects in your shop?
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X