64 interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 64 interior

Has anyone replaced the whiskers on the door panels of a convert or htp? The were staped to the door panel, is there any other way to put on new ones without using staples? Has anyone tried glue?

I did my '64 HT a couple of years ago. I didn't need to replace them but looked at them closely as I thought what I may encounter on my '64 Daytona Conv. I think you could pry off the original cat whiskers & use adhesive to attach the new whiskers. Be sure to clamp or flip over & add weights to ensure you get a secure & uniform bond.
    Rob in PA.

Comment

When I did mine 25 years ago , It was a time consuming process by using the old ones as a template and drilling holes in the new ones , Then using staples I placed and bent over every one by hand , Have fun

Comment

RTV will work, but you will have to clamp the cat whiskers in place until the RTV sets up - usually 24 hours.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I believe I installed mine by drilling and passing picture wire or similar type stiff wire that I could twist tight on the back side

Comment

I used 1/8" pop rivets and glued small pieces of black felt over the pop rivet head with a dab of black weatherstrip adhesive. In drilling the cat whisker from the rear, stop as soon as the drill breaks thru the metal back and then complete the hole with an awl so that the drill doesn't tear the fuzz. Punch out the felt pieces with an appropriate size hollow punch. Place the pop rivets at the staple location.

Comment

Once I removed the strips I cleaned the vinyl and applied 3 m glue that bonds rubber to metal . Clamped and let set about two hours and I can't seem to remove the whiskers. I want to thank everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X