Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb questions and intro...

Hello,

I have been looking (well keeping an eye out anyway) for a pre-war car as a restoration project. Naturally Studebaker Commanders and Presidents are on my list. I have had a relatively hard time trying to find information on the 39-42 models other than some pictures to identify the years.

Is there a list somewhere of year to year option and changes? I know the overdrive was popular but how do I tell if a vehicle has one? Keep in mind most cars I am looking at have been sitting and I cannot get under them and most labels on the dash are worn off or are covered in enough dirt as to not be legible.

I have read about how the overdrive works and I have seen people mention that the system must be enabled. I have seen the description of "lever", "switch", and "button" used to describe enabling the overdrive but not a single picture of said control.

I came across a 1940 4dr Commander that appears mostly complete and was last driven in 1974. The drivers door wouldn't open so I could not access the tag on the pillar that I have read is there. I was able to get a picture of the tag on the firewall but the hood would only open a bit. I have seen it stated that the 1940 was different than the 41 but not any details.

The tag on the firewall said 10AW 3 and 1165 on the second row. What can I look for to determine what options it might have had and is there any way to determine original body color?

Thank You,
    Richard

Others more experienced that I will jump in, however, the basics are that the 10AW 3 states the model and trim. The 1165 is the body number built, not anything to do with the serial no. I believe on the SDC main web page there is a link for the specific body tag means for year and model. Not much help, but others will jump in and give you the information on this that you are looking for.

Mark

Comment

Welcome to the best car forum on-line.

Most of us enjoy seeing the pre-war cars, but know not much (little) about them.

The original color would have been printed on a piece of paper glued to the bottom of the cardboard body of the glove box, unless in 70 years the glue would have dried and the paper fallen off. Short of the production order there's no other way to know the color.

The PO (production order) too, would tell all options that came with the car. Available options would have included hubcaps, radio, mirrors, sun visors, etc. Overdrive, too. Production orders are available from the Studebaker Museum in South Bend for $40.00, not feasable unless you already own the car.

The 10AW 3 on the tag specifies year, 10 meaning '40, W is a four door, 3 would be an upscale trim level.

Comment

Anything on how to tell if it has overdrive? Here is a picture I took of the dash... there is a lever to the left of the steering column but I thought the OD was an electronic switch. Also, there is a panel below what might be a radio (AM only? was it even an option? aftermarket?) that I am not sure what it might be. I think I saw an ad that talked about a heater under the drivers seat that had a control panel like that.

Richard

Last edited by Corners; 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Corners View Post
          Anything on how to tell if it has overdrive? Here is a picture I took of the dash... there is a lever to the left of the steering column but I thought the OD was an electronic switch. Also, there is a panel below what might be a radio (AM only? was it even an option? aftermarket?) that I am not sure what it might be. I think I saw an ad that talked about a heater under the drivers seat that had a control panel like that.

Richard
          Welcome to the forum.

That lever should be the hood release and the control panel is actually your heater ("Climatizer") controls.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Richard

Richard
            I attached 2 image of interest for you, a 1940 magazine ad for a Commander Sedan and the Body Parts Catalog "Model Specs" page. Other info will come up on here but these should be a good start for a new to the hobby person. Stude8
            Attached Files

Comment

There have been some excellent magazine articles written about prewar Studes. I don't know the magazine or the issues but I know someone who does and expect he may chime in.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

If it has overdrive, there will be a push/pull button on the top of the dashboard. All 3 of my 40's have an ODT and it is controlled by the button on top of the dash, just to the right of the steering column, not too close to the ashtray.

The 40 I saw that didn't have an ODT did NOT have th ebutton on top of the dash.

dan

Comment

The Overdrive IN-Out shift cable has a Mechanical "Handle" or "Knob" on it, not a "Button". It operates Electrically, but is shifted IN and Out Mechanically, usually before driving.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

the plate below the dummy radio dials are the heater control knobs.....you should have a nice big heater core under the driver's seat......you'll need to service it under the car...

Comment

1939 Studebaker Champion 2 door for sale , $3,500,

I have for sale a 1939 Studebaker champion in California . email for pictures .
                      thanks , david
                      408-206-0285

Hello,

I have been looking (well keeping an eye out anyway) for a pre-war car as a restoration project. Naturally Studebaker Commanders and Presidents are on my list. I have had a relatively hard time trying to find information on the 39-42 models other than some pictures to identify the years.

Is there a list somewhere of year to year option and changes? I know the overdrive was popular but how do I tell if a vehicle has one? Keep in mind most cars I am looking at have been sitting and I cannot get under them and most labels on the dash are worn off or are covered in enough dirt as to not be legible.

I have read about how the overdrive works and I have seen people mention that the system must be enabled. I have seen the description of "lever", "switch", and "button" used to describe enabling the overdrive but not a single picture of said control.

I came across a 1940 4dr Commander that appears mostly complete and was last driven in 1974. The drivers door wouldn't open so I could not access the tag on the pillar that I have read is there. I was able to get a picture of the tag on the firewall but the hood would only open a bit. I have seen it stated that the 1940 was different than the 41 but not any details.

The tag on the firewall said 10AW 3 and 1165 on the second row. What can I look for to determine what options it might have had and is there any way to determine original body color?

Thank You,
                      Richard

Comment

For questions on prewar cars, you might also want to post on the Antique Studebaker Club forum at

ASC is dedicated to prewar Studebakers. I suggest joining that club as well as the Studebaker Drivers Club.

Comment

Well, yes... it is a push/pull knob... sorry for the choice of words, lol! It looks a lot like a choke knob on a weed whacker, only it comes out of the top of the dash.

Comment

Working...
                          X