Studebaker Pick Up Truck Parts-PICs ADDED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Pick Up Truck Parts-PICs ADDED

My first time here, everyone. I recently was able to rescue a Studebaker pick up truck from a field. The cab and back is still there. The hood, engine and side panels are gone. My plan is to break it down into parts and sell them. I have a few questions. The truck's been sitting outside for about 3 years, so many of the parts (rear view mirrors, windshield wipers, bed/tailgate,etc) have a considerable amount of rust/tarnish. Are those things still desirable. Do those looking to restore still use parts like that? I'm looking to remove every piece that I can. the front windshield and outside mirrors are cracked or broken, so those would need to be replaced. My other question, is there a message board that is for selling said parts? Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Sketchman; 09-03-2013, 09:45 PM.

It would help to have pictures so we know what year and type of truck and whether things like mirrors are original or after market. Body parts that do not have serious rust through are always desirable. Surface rust is not a big problem.
    If you can locate any factory tags and post the numbers the identity will be more complete.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      It would help to have pictures so we know what year and type of truck and whether things like mirrors are original or after market. Body parts that do not have serious rust through are always desirable. Surface rust is not a big problem.
      If you can locate any factory tags and post the numbers the identity will be more complete.
      Everything is original...The model number is 2R5-12...serial number R5-8708I...it's a pick-up...does that help?

Comment

This is always a good spot:

And photos are very helpful as far as people knowing exactly what condition the item is in.

Good luck.

Comment

If your Tailgate is not all bent up and rotted through, people always want those, surface rust can be removed.

A 2R5-12 is a Small 6 (Champion) powered 1/2 Ton with a 112 inch wheelbase, a "Short" Bed 6 1/2 ft.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't forget to put it on the studebaker truck forum. Might have some luck there

Take care

George o

Comment

Sketchman, allow me to decode the tags from the truck you purchased.

Model code- 2R5-12
              2....indicates the model years of Studebaker trucks built from 1949 through 1953,
              R....is the series of Studebaker trucks built from 1949 through 1954 (the 1954 model year was 3R),
              5....code for a 1/2 ton nominally rated chassis with a flathead, side valve, 170 cubic inch six cylinder engine commonly called the Champion engine (a slightly modified Studebaker car engine),
              12..code for the length of the wheelbase (here it means 112 inches) measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle. This lenght chassis permits a 6 1/2 pickup box to be mounted.

Serial number-R5-87081
              R....same as above,
              5....same as above,
              87081..indicates the sequence this R5 came off the assembly line. This number falls in the block of serial numbers assigned to the 1952 model year. The first R5 in 1952 was R5-78579 and the last one was R5-96237.

The majority of parts will fit any 2R5 manufactured 1949-53. There will be some exceptions especially in the electrics. Parts sought are sheet metal, grille, bumpers (especially rear), bumper braces, seat frames, mirrors (inside and out), interior pieces, and tailgates. Mechanical parts are still available from many sources.

Good luck,

Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-W6
              M16-52 '48 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

Comment

Pics added

Comment

Please check your messages. Pm sent

Comment

Nice hat, Sketchman. Thanks for the pictures. Seems the old girl might have been well treated before being left to the elements. Good luck.
                    Last edited by warrlaw1; 09-04-2013, 11:10 AM.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Based on the straight brace next to the windshield wiper motor, I would guess it's a 1949 model. Later trucks had a wider brace and the wiper mounted to it. I am not sure exactly when they changed.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Truck has been pulled from the field....I will be going over to assess the salvageable parts...

Comment

Working...
                        X