Engine ID numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine ID numbers

While at Branson this weekend I spent some time talking with a man from Nebraska that had a gold 64 GT Hawk for sale. As I was looking it over I noticed that the engine ID number started off PJ with a few numbers after it. I know about the JT and JTS prefixes, but what is PJ?
    BTW the car does have a Power Shift trans. He didn't know much about the car having bought it a few years ago and not driving it much. He did say that he did not run premium gas in it.[?]

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
    since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I'm sure someone with more specifics will chime in, but the "P" means it is a stock car 289... the "J" symbolizes the month of production. I have a "PH" motor which was built in August of '63, so I would assume a "PJ" is a September or October '63 production depending if "I" was used.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

That's interesting. I've never had a 64 ,but I knew from other posts that there were some differences for those engines.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
      since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Mark,

"I" was not used.

Gary

Comment

Hey Mark
          I'm running engine # PJ305. I've learned here that the P is 289, J is for Sept, # 3 is for 1963, 5 is for the fifth day of the month. This is such a cool web site. My engine was made on my older brothers 4th birthday. [8D] Its in my daily driver/ race car and goes to work everyday. It works harder for a living and out runs him too!

Gordon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Hey Mark
            I'm running engine # PJ305. I've learned here that the P is 289, J is for Sept, # 3 is for 1963, 5 is for the fifth day of the month. This is such a cool web site. My engine was made on my older brothers 4th birthday. [8D] Its in my daily driver/ race car and goes to work everyday. It works harder for a living and out runs him too!

Gordon
            I've got engine # PH 37 in my truck and I'm glad to have the newer full flow 289 as opposed to the late 50's version.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            3E-6/7-122
            </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
            X