1st time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time

Driving on the 405 yesterday, in the slow lane, passing a string of cars in the next lane. Passed a very nice '57 Chevy convertible. As I pulled away I noticed he went to an outside lane, caught up to me so he could wave and give the thumbs up to my Lark. A real old car guy and not a GM only lover. I have not had this happen before. Have had passengers take cell phone pictures before but not this.

Pretty cool.

Doug,

Here in the central valley, lots of folks in brand Xs will honk and wave if I'm driving a Stude. I think it's driven by our age more than just an old car. It's such a treat to see ANYTHING from the era of our youth, that we're tickled by the event.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am going to have to add 10 minutes to each stop I make with the Hawk. Whether its the gas station, hardware store, grocery store, etc., there is almost always someone wanting to look at the car and/or take pictures and ask questions. The other day I saw a guy make a U-turn and then followed me until I got to True Value. He asked if I minded if he took some pics of the car. I was in a bit of a hurry, but I figured a couple Iphone pics couldn't take too long. Lo and behold he got in his trunk and took out a tripod and very expensive camera and began shooting. After 15 minutes, I finally told him I had to go! He got my email address and was nice enough to send me some of the shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Washtubman View Post
        I am going to have to add 10 minutes to each stop I make with the Hawk. Whether its the gas station, hardware store, grocery store, etc., there is almost always someone wanting to look at the car and/or take pictures and ask questions. The other day I saw a guy make a U-turn and then followed me until I got to True Value. He asked if I minded if he took some pics of the car. I was in a bit of a hurry, but I figured a couple Iphone pics couldn't take too long. Lo and behold he got in his trunk and took out a tripod and very expensive camera and began shooting. After 15 minutes, I finally told him I had to go! He got my email address and was nice enough to send me some of the shots.
        Great story!!

Comment

A freind of mine told me that he had his golden hawk out to run it and put some gas in it. Pulled into the gas station and said he noticed a guy on a bike behind him. Pulled up to the pump and the guy parks in front of him. Thinking oh crap I must have cut him off. The guy looks around the car and go's {OK WHAT IS IT}.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
            Driving on the 405 yesterday, in the slow lane, passing a string of cars in the next lane. Passed a very nice '57 Chevy convertible. As I pulled away I noticed he went to an outside lane, caught up to me so he could wave and give the thumbs up to my Lark. A real old car guy and not a GM only lover. I have not had this happen before. Have had passengers take cell phone pictures before but not this.

Pretty cool.
            It's kinda cool when that kind of thing happens.Last year when I was on the 695 beltway an older couple in a newer Jaguar in the next lane were pointing to my car and talking to each other and next thing you know, 'Mom-mom' starts taking cell phone pictures.Got a wave and a thumbs-up.That made my day!

Comment

Had my 63 Champ out a couple weeks ago on the interstate.hit the end of the off ramp"they're re-building the bridge" and the fella was putting his yellow/orange vest on as He saw Me at the stop sign. all He could do was yell "and I mean YELL" NICE ! NICE ! if He knew it was a Studebaker He did'nt get a chance to say so,cuz traffic was comeing over the bridge and He needed to watch for safety.so I gave it a good shot and made my right turn,and gave Him a dose of my Cherry bombs.if He said NICE a third time I did'nt hear Him
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have to echo all of this. The comment Mark (rusty65) made about the Jag even holds true out here. There's a strip of big banks directly across from where we're located, and I often find myself driving down the road directly adjacent to them. Most of these banks' parking garages are full of Jaguars, Mercedes, and other high end luxury cars. At least once or twice a week I get the "long hard look" or an inquiry about my car from one of these types. I have to admit, it's hard not to chuckle at the irony of a guy in a $60,000 (or more) luxury car being interested by a $3000 (or less) Lark.

Same for the road workers. More than once I've had construction guys clapping or hollering for the car. Honestly, most all traffic responds similarly too. I've had full conversations with people at red lights over the car. Heck, I've had full conversations about other Studebaker people at red lights. (To date, my favorite is still the guy that described an aquaintence of his with a red convertible and a black and white '41. I asked if he meant "41 Frank" from here, to which he replied "yeah, you know him?" and my comeback was "Know him? Half the parts on this thing came from him!")

I think the reason that I prefer being the local "Studebaker evangelist" is because it's such an easy sell. The Lark was the result of a brilliant plan, but at the same time it really was a simple car. Nothing too fancy or special. Certainly not as "cool" as the c/k's or bulletnoses, but even as one of the more humble offerings of Studebaker, it's still admired, from little kids all the way up to bank executives who have more money parked in their garage than I have all together. It's good stuff.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Our road trip car is a well-worn '98 Dodge Grand Caravan, but my rear license plate frame reads "MY OTHER CAR IS A STUEBAKER". While visiting family in St. Louis, I was at a stop sign on Forest Park Pkwy, when a car rolls up next to us to get our attention and give me a shout-out for that, alone!
                  ~Matt Connor
                  '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

My dad made his final visit here to the left coast in 1996. I picked him up from LAX & driving back to the house a car with 4 teenage girls pulled up next to my Hawk yelling "that car is sooo cool!!" The smile on dad's face was priceless.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I love it when other car guys and gals, regardless of make, give a wave or a honk. I try to make it a point to do the same when I see another classic on the road.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I had a fellow in a black Lexus passing my '63 Cruiser on the D.C. beltway. He honked, gave a thumbs up and slowed down to pace me for a bit; very unusual on the beltway.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I love it when people say "you don't see those everyday". To which I always respond - "I do".
                          Jon Stalnaker
                          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                          X