Snuck the Studey out on the flight line!!! B17 content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snuck the Studey out on the flight line!!! B17 content

Having a shop in a decent sized regional airport has some distinct advantages!

Earlier this year Sentimental Journey, B17 bomber flew in for a weekend and I was able to get close for some pix of it, today Aluminum Overcast flew in.

Pulling a couple strings and BSing with the folks crewing the plane got me and the Studey snuck out on the flight line for a photoshoot!!

This B17 has only 1 Studebaker powerplant, Sentimental Journey has 3.

Here's the link to the full album with the pics of Sentimental Journey,,

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

I'll get more photos of the plane tomorrow without the car and up close and add those to the album when I get home.

Needless to say I'm a happy CASO today
    Last edited by Da Tinman; 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM.
    http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

VERY NICE!!!

The closest I ever got one of my rides to a B-17 looked like this~

R.I.P. Liberty Belle...

StudeDave '57
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

OMG! The prop wash blew off your wheel covers!
      Just kidding Dave, two beautiful Studebakers and two beautiful B17's
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Congrats on the photo shoot! (beautiful Lark, too )

Here's Sentimental Journey at Arlington, WA (EAA fly in) last year...

More here...Sentimental Journey
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here is my car with the B-17. This pic is too small to show the German Bomber and Fighter displayed behind the B-17. Somewhere on another computer I have a larger picture. This one was made small for an avatar pic and I don't have access to the one on the other computer for now. This was taken years ago. It was a lot of fun. I merely drove over to look at the plane. When the crew saw my car, they invited me to spend the day with them and included the car with the display.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	avitar48-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	1683414
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That's really cool....especially the spec plate.

Comment

Here's the other Stude motor on Sentimental Journey

And a Brand X...

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sentimental journey is running 3 Studes and Pratt Whitney now.

In the vid guess which one didn't want to start haha!!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Thanks for the compliments and replies.

I have a deep respect and admiration for these aircraft and for the young men who flew into the hell in front of them.

Comment

Great pictures and stories. Thanks for sharing!
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I added a bunch of pics to the album, no car but I crawled around inside and got a few in there as well.

I laughed at the Garmins on the dash and the sound system with Sirius hooked into the communications.

Comment

This is the closest that I could get to the Liberty Belle with my Studebaker. Despite the silliness of the reasoning from the fire department, I wasn't gonna trudge out into the muddy field with my Lark, so this is the best I could do, which was a 1/4 mile from the site:

Fear not, for another one is coming down the chutes, because the "Desert Rat" is approaching completion in Marengo, IL!
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

That was a sad day. Its good that some of the salvageable stuff was used to get other ones back in the air though.

Comment

I will reiterate that when they say plane crash with this one, it didn't crash and burn into the ground. In fact it didn't crash at all. There was a report of fire from the spotter plane, which led to the pilots looking for a place to land. The farmer's bean field was more than ideal to set the plane down, which at the same time, radioed for the fire department to put it out. After they landed, the crew and passengers got off the plane, which there was still time for the pilots to get back on, find their belongings and get off again. The fire department showed up, but they said they wouldn't trudge out into the bean field, because they didn't wanna get their trucks stuck. At this point, there was more than ample time to put it out. So, the plane burned to the ground. So, after 60 years, it wasn't WWII, or the P&W test engines, or taking any sort of artillery that killed it, it was our fire department!!
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Love the "kustom" Lark with the Fort...if it's hi-res enough that ought to be a TW cover.

Re the lamented "Liberty Belle", don't count her permanently down and out; at last word (i.e. the most recent issue of Warbird Digest magazine) the eventual intent was for her to be restored alongside the Liberty Foundation's other Fort (recovered from Dyke Lake, Labrador, up here in Canada), with both B-17s slated for flight again.

"Sentimental Journey" spent several days at CWH last month. Her outboard R1820s were both Studebaker at that time. (Note that none of the engines on a Fort ought to be "Pratt & Whitney"; the R1820 Cyclone was a Wright Aeronautical/Curtiss-Wright product. A bit of trivia, though: there were some Pratt & Whitney-built R1820s. When deHavilland Canada built a batch of S2F Tracker antisub aircraft under licence from Grumman for the RCN in the late 50s, the engines were to be made in Canada too...and the contract for the Trackers' R1820s went to Pratt & Whitney Canada! Sort of like contracting Ford Canada to build some SBCs.)

S.

Comment

Great pics and thanks for posting...

Comment

Working...
                              X