Two Cuban Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Cuban Studebakers

My daughters just returned from a little Cuban holiday, and my youngest took these shots of some Studes she came across. As with most Cuban cars, these have lived long and hard lives. The trunk of the bullet-nose really shows the fact, and this car really isn't a bullet nose any more as some crafty person substituted a dog-dish chubby hubcap. The blue/white Dodge in the background is the car my daughters hired for the day, appears to be in much better condition. cheers, Junior.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

At a local car show I was attending a while back a gentleman from Cuba came up to me to tell me how how excited he was to see a Studebaker in such fine condition. He told me he never sees old cars like that in Cuba in such great shape. He was like a kid in a candy store. He talked my ears off for about 30 minutes before he finally exhausted all he had to say. One can see from these pictures what he was on about. It is amazing how the Cubans can keep these old cars on the road. And have you see their roads?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I always thought I never would be the one to refuse a Studebaker, but for that green convertible with almost no wheels I'm not so sure about...

Comment

I thought Americans were not allowed in Cuba???
        Jim Rostron

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
          Flights from Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa everyday.
          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
          Fort Worth, TX

Comment

A quick question for Stu if he reads this. Was Studebaker of Canada allowed to export Studebakers to Canada up to 1966? Were there any dealers or how, exactly did one buy a car in Cuba after the coup (or revolution, if you prefer)?
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
              Some of my bicycle touring friends tried to get up a trip about a year ago by going in thru Mexico, FAIL.. Seems Canadians have no trouble getting in..

Comment

As a Canadian, I had a nice visit there in Nov 2012. Passport only required. VERY reasonable. Beautiful beaches, interesting places, but lots of poverty.

No later model Studes or other makes until many Russian Ladas were imported. Almost all cars had been converted to diesels, and a Studebaker owner I talked to said that Studebakers were not as valuable as other cars because it was more difficult (maybe there wasn't a standard process) to convert it.

Recently, there have been many Chinese buses and cars imported, replacing many of the old cars and buses. Its to bad these weren't North American built.

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
                  Some of my bicycle touring friends tried to get up a trip about a year ago by going in thru Mexico, FAIL.. Seems Canadians have no trouble getting in..
                  My brother and SIL visited Cuba last year, both passport carrying US citizens. They toured with a group as some form of cultural program but enjoyed the visit. They had a pretty much guided agenda but were free at times to explore the local markets, stores and talk to the locals.

He went to Cuba and all I got was a Havana Industriales ball cap.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                    As a Canadian, I had a nice visit there in Nov 2012. Passport only required. VERY reasonable. Beautiful beaches, interesting places, but lots of poverty. No later model Studes or other makes ....
                    My first trip to Cuba was 1977, I have been going back on a regular basis since 1996. Where I go I have seen a 1960 Lark and 1960 Corvair, they appear to newest since the revolution. On a trip to Havana a few years ago I did see modern U.S. vehicles in an upscale neighbourhood where foreigners, mostly diplomats live. As 55s said lots of poverty. Chinese buses are becoming popular as are Japanese and Korean cars but they are mostly state owned. Some school buses, (Canadian or U.S. made), were sold used a few years ago to be used as transportation for the hotel workers but they are wearing out fast due to unimproved roads.
                    sigpic
                    55 President Deluxe
                    64 Commander
                    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                    X