Insurance on your Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance on your Studebaker

Where Do most of you owners get your insurance on your Studebakers?Have you had best service from your reg. carrier?Anybody using Hagerty and Grundy and such?Hagerty has great rates,I just wonder if they are there when you need them?
    Thanks,
    Tony

We have been there, done that Many, many times, here is one of dozens found in a search:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?67842-Insurance-options&highlight=hagerty

I believe J.C.Taylor, Hagerty and the other Classic Car insurers do pay fine, but will not allow daily driving them, and you must have proof of a "Daily Driver" insured with a "Regular Insurance Co."
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I used Hagerty for several years but had to switch to Grundy last year because Hagerty won't insure a daily driver. Grundy will. My situation is changing shortly and so may go back to Hagerty. Both companies will ensure your Studebaker for a lot less than your regular carrier because they assume their clientele are different. We don't driver our cars as much and when we do we are much more careful. I save hundreds every year by insuring my two Studebakers with these carriers.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

$400/year for my 1960 Lark VI wagon daily driver with comprehensive with Allstate.

Comment

'Used J. C. Taylor for many years and had one small claim they paid promptly. My 1958 Chevrolet Bel-Air 2-door sedan was parked in a public storage facility before I had a garage of my own. Someone backed into it while it was stored there (hit and run; 'never found out who did it, but I have a pretty good idea as this is a small town), inflicting a little metal damage on one quarter panel; maybe an hour or two of metal time, plus refinishing. J. C. Taylor paid the bill submitted, which was legit. (Yes, I had the car repaired.)

But I didn't continue J. C. Taylor because they did not have agreed-value insurance. I don't like the idea of getting into a p*ssing match with an adjuster after a car is destroyed as to what it was worth before it was destroyed. (They may have changed that by now; that was some time ago.)

On my Independent Insurance Agent's advice, I began using Hagerty about fifteen years ago. I've had no claims, but do have agreed value on each car. They required several current photos of each car, and I think there are certain restrictions as to storage place and type of structure (not outdoors, I'm pretty sure). I placed what I felt were reasonable valuations on each of my eight cars and they apparently agreed, since the amounts I requested are those in the policy.

Another feature of Hagerty is that they have a blanket liability for all cars. They know you can't drive all your cars at the same time so, in effect, you don't have to buy an individual liability policy for each car, although it is written up as such, of course, for legal purposes.

As a matter of fact, I just got my renewal notice in Thursday's mail, due October 1. Premium is $654 for 12 months of Hagerty Plus on eight cars, total agreed value $96,500, plus liability on each one so I can drive any of them. I have been with them for some time with no claims, so I don't know if an identical new customer would get the same rate.

Hagerty spends a lot of time and money promoting and protecting the collector-vehicle hobby. That is important to me; they are visible on many fronts. Quite frankly, I appreciate some of my money being used for those endeavors, probably more effectively than I could on my own, and feel good about the company as a result. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If you can meet the stipulations of the classic car insurers like Grundy, Hagerty, JC Taylor and others they seem to be the best deal. I am not aware of any of them that have not stepped right up to pay claims and provide good service. Most of them will ask you to prove you have another car for daily driving and have the covered car garaged. They also restrict usage, for example no driving to work or to the grocery store. Some may have mileage restrictions. The advantage is they usually offer "Agreed Value" coverage for collision and comprehensive. You and the insurance company agree on the value of the car and it is covered for that amount without depreciation. Some may require an appraisal, some may require you to send current pictures of the car. In my opinion, if your use matches their rules, classic car type insurance is the best way to go.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

But I didn't continue J. C. Taylor because they did not have agreed-value insurance.
              I have had JC Taylor insurance on several cars, starting 25 years ago and continuing until today. All of it was/is agreed value.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                We have been there, done that Many, many times, here is one of dozens found in a search:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?67842-Insurance-options&highlight=hagerty

I believe J.C.Taylor, Hagerty and the other Classic Car insurers do pay fine, but will not allow daily driving them, and you must have proof of a "Daily Driver" insured with a "Regular Insurance Co."
                I did a search before I posted here.I must have asked the wrong question,didn't come up with much info.Looks like Hagerty will be hard to beat.I was with them years ago when I had a FJ 40 Landcruiser.I had never heard of JC Taylor before,I'II give them a shot also...
                Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help...
                Tony

Comment

JC Taylor advertises every month in TW. The revenue helps to keep your dues down.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    JC Taylor advertises every month in TW. The revenue helps to keep your dues down.
                    They are way cheaper than the others.Guess I'II give them a call Monday...
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tony58 View Post
                      They are way cheaper than the others.Guess I'II give them a call Monday...
                      Thanks
                      'Good idea, Tony.

I agree with Skip about letting them bid on your business, as they have advertised in Turning Wheels forever.

I wouldn't recommend against them even though I don't use them. It is a good company. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My Dad & I have had JC Taylor for years. 3 problems ,2 involving windshields,1 involving the hood on my Dad's truck flying up in his face. ALL COVERED,EXCELLENT,QUICK SERVICE. I would recommend them plus they advertise in TW!
                        Rob in PA.

Comment

I have had Grundy since 1983,but they were taken over by Philadelphia indemnity 6 yrs ago.I n the last few years I had some claims,they paid right away and no questions asked.but with having the recent claims they decided not renew my policy.I then put everything including my personal cars and house with ANPAC CHROME,and saved a bunch of money over Grundy and State Farm with much better coverage.i had a bunch of my fellow car guys recommend them.
                          36 Dictator cpe
                          36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
                          37 Coupe express R-2
                          50 Champion convert
                          54 champion cpe
                          59 3/4 p/up 4wd
                          63 Custom R-2
                          63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
                          63 Avanti R-2
                          63 Avant1 R-2
                          64 Commander R-1
                          64 Challenger R-3
                          58 Packard hawk
                          64 Champ
                          2-63 Wagonaire's
                          62 E40 Transtar
                          55 3/4 T pickup
                          64 Daytona
                          Brand X :
                          70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

I was with Grundy for over 30 years starting with a Model A in California in 1973. Never had a claim or a problem. Jim Grundy is supposed to be a "car guy". I started getting bad vibes a couple of years ago. I had always been able to add vehicles to my policy with just a phone call. I bought a '63 Champ pickup last year and called them to add it. They said, and this is a quote, "We don't do that anymore. You have to talk to our underwriters directly. I'll be happy to connect you" Eighteen minutes later (I have a timer on the Phone) I was told that they would be happy to send me an application. I said "I am a policy holder and have been for many years". "sorry , sir. We don't do that". Then they sent me a renewal notice for all 7 vehicles that I had insured with them that showed my original 1936 Cord was changed in their system to a 1966 Glen Prey (a reproduction Cord in 4/5ths scale with a fiberglass body and Corvair engine). That was it for me. I switched to another company and they never even asked me why. Someday I'd like to see Jim Grundy at Hershey and tell him directly why they are not collecting my premiums. Tom

Comment

JC TAYLOR 20,000 stated value 5000 miles annual no deductible 50 mile flat bed towing 192.00 a year premium. 1962 GT
                              REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
                              The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
                              www.thechristiancenter.us
                              https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

Comment

Working...
                              X