Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy to see why R-Series trucks were so popular

Here's as nice and interesting one of these as you could want:

But, boy, "in the day," look how obsolete it appears (and is!) when compared to a new, 1949 Studebaker R-Series! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

REO > Random E. Olds. Nice looking truck and close to me. But for $35,000 one could have one helluva R-series truck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
      REO > Random E. Olds. Nice looking truck and close to me. But for $35,000 one could have one helluva R-series truck.
      I believe his name was Ransom Eli Olds, but I agree with the comment. The REO looks like a 38 or so vehicle compared to the modern R series Studebaker.
      Last edited by 52-fan; 08-21-2013, 06:31 AM.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes, they're beautiful old trucks. Between Studebakers, my dad owned a Diamond T. Not only did it look "classic", but drove like a '30s truck. Compared to a Stude, it was heavier, slower, thirstier, noisier and much rougher riding. It's been sixty years, but IIRC, the Diamond-T still used wood-frame construction on the cab and doors.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

...still like the looks of that big old beast & wish I had one...... I wish for a lot of things though. Come on LOTTERY!!!!!

Comment

Wow. It is beautiful!

Comment

One of the local Packard club members who works on many of our chapter's Studebakers drives a truck just like that as his daily driver.
              Of course, that's on days when he's not out embarrassing kids in Mustangs and Corvettes with his supercharged Lark.
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

There was a silver Diamond-T at a local show in Forest Grove in June. Seeing one up close is really interesting. The shear mass of the thing can be intimidating.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Just think if Bob Bourke could have gotten his R series built and not the 2R series.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think a Diamond T is a bad example to compare to a Stude. Pickup of 1949, because it was So very rare, different and obsolete.

I like much better to pick on those sorry looking GMC, Chev. Ford, Dodge and International Pickups with their terrible Wood floored, single walled cheap Boxes with the ugly Stake Pockets running down the complete outside of the Bed in THREE places on 8 footers, talk about a good Stude. comparison!

And the hands down Style leader is.... wait for it...
                    Studebaker!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      I think a Diamond T is a bad example to compare to a Stude. Pickup of 1949, because it was So very rare, different and obsolete.

I like much better to pick on those sorry looking GMC, Chev. Ford, Dodge and International Pickups with their terrible Wood floored, single walled cheap Boxes with the ugly Stake Pockets running down the complete outside of the Bed in THREE places on 8 footers, talk about a good Stude. comparison!

And the hands down Style leader is.... wait for it...
                      Studebaker!
                      Good points, Rich; agreed.

A couple weeks ago, I posted a picture of Phil Brandt and his 1956 Golden Hawk, having won a couple trophies at a small local show.

As I left that show in my own '64 Daytona convertible, I followed a beautifully-restored, bone stock 1952 Dodge pickup out the gate and down the road a couple miles.

Your points are well taken; as pretty as was that Dodge, I couldn't help but think how high, downright boxy, and obsolete it would look if a bone-stock little 1952 R-series Studebaker pickup had been parked right next to it. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I agree Bob !
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Its hard to find any pickups as pretty as the Studebakers.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                            I'm trying to figure out this post. Reo (or REO) and Diamond T had nothing to do with each other when this truck was built, two different companies. Later, under White, they merged, but what's the connection here? What am I missing?

PS I rode to grade and middle school in a Reo bus, driven by the first lady bus driver in our area. Did the job for many years, and I don't remember any breakdowns... After the Lady driver got a new Crown bus and a new longer route, we got an old man driver who recently had cataract surgery, which back then meant 1/4" thick glasses. He ran the Reo into the ditch twice that I can recall, but it lived on... I'm pretty sure I was gassed by the exhaust fumes standing in the back of that bus everyday. Times are different...
                            Corley

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                              I agree Bob !
                              Of course, Bob, the 1952 Studebaker pickup line would be better represented by a 2R6 with Commander engine and overdrive, right? BP

Comment

Working...
                              X