1960 sandalwood beige paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 sandalwood beige paint

I haven't mentioned a whole lot about it yet, but I got another car. It's getting near the point where it's almost ready for paint. I want to keep it as close to original as possible, but the paint will be base coat clear coat. According the build sheet the color is sandalwood beige. Right now it still has its original paint and in my eyes it looks like tan with a gray interior. Can somebody here post a photo of what sandalwood beige is supposed to look like and a paint code? Thanks...
    Chris Dresbach

If you can read it, Chris, here it is:

Remember, you can put park your cursor over the image and press both CTRL and + at the same time, and the image will get much larger. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This might be it:

Wish bumper guards could only be put on the correct side...at least the front ones are correct (even if they are the wrong year models).
      Last edited by 62champ; 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

That's exactly the color mine looks like, thanks
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

I zoomed in on the paint chip chart. My build sheet says the car is definitely sandalwood beige, but the paint chip looks darker, almost gray. Bob, can you post the code? Even when I zoomed in on it I can't read it.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Look here Chris:

sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Studebaker's 1960 Paint Code is P-6015, Chris.

Martin-Senour's 1960 Code for Lacquer is 61T-3146. For Enamel (Synthol): 90T-3855.

Those numbers probably won't mean anything today at a NAPA store, Chris, but it's a start. BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 08-21-2013, 03:51 AM.
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I believe that is the original color of my Uncle's 5E7 - do not know how close the match was when he repainted it back in 1991...

There was someone in the local chapter back in Texas that had a beige '60 Hawk - looks really nice on that long hood and fenders.

Comment

Right, Patrick; it's easy to mistake Sandalwood Beige for the more common Sudan Beige, which doesn't have quite as much yellow tint in it. They are very similar.

'Can't say that I've ever seen a Sandalwood Beige 1960 Hawk, although they were certainly available. But I've seen several Sudan Beige 1960 Hawks through the years. Cousin George Krem's father drove a Sudan Beige 1960 Hawk for several years back in the day. IIRC, there was a nice Sudan Beige '60 Hawk for sale at York awhile back.

The two colors are so close that if someone mixed one of them a little wrong, it could come out looking like the other one! BP

Comment

I would suggest removing something on the firewall like the voltage regulator to get a good color match , much more accurate than a color chip .
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Studebaker's 1960 Paint Code is P-6015, Chris.

Martin-Senour's 1960 Code for Lacquer is 61T-3146. For Enamel (Synthol): 90T-3855.

Those numbers probably won't mean anything today at a NAPA store, Chris, but it's a start. BP
                      That's exactly what I need, thanks. Believe it or not, Ridge Napa up here around the corner is good at matching old paint codes. Last winter I built a precision model of my '53 prototype and I wanted it to be 100% correct Maui Blue. So I found Studebaker's old paint code and took it to them. The guy behind the counter made about 5 phone calls, but he was able to mix it! He was also able to make John Deere Spruce Blue and Dogwood White; which are DuPont Centari colors and have been obsolete since 1972...
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

That color looks good on the truck and the early Lark, but I really do not like it on my '62 Daytona 2dr. HT. I'm definitely thinking color change, but with brown interior the choices are limited.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                        X