Street Demon Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Demon Carb

The Street Demon #1901 looks like a good carb for a Stude, for those who don't mind deviating from stock. From what I can gather, a long time MOPAR carb guru (internet ID "demon sizzler"), designed the carb, and tried to make it everything the t-quad or q-jet coulda/shoulda/woulda been, while keeping many of those carbs' design characteristics.

Every test report I have found on the 1901 (spread bore, resin float bowl & 625 CFM) speaks well of it: off idle response very crisp; float bowl keeps gas temp 20+ degrees cooler; MPG about same as a q-jet; secondaries come in only when needed; electric choke, and an optional TPS for running an electrically operated 200/700R tranny.

Only problems, I do not see any provision to force the choke open during heat-soaked restarts, and the cheapest one I have found so far is at JEGs for $359, with free shipping.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 08-17-2013, 06:22 AM.

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    The Street Demon #1901 looks like a good carb for a Stude, for those who don't mind deviating from stock. From what I can gather, a long time MOPAR carb guru (internet ID "demon sizzler"), designed the carb, and tried to make it everything the t-quad or q-jet coulda/shoulda/woulda been, while keeping many of those carbs' design characteristics.

Every test report I have found on the 1901 (spread bore, resin float bowl & 625 CFM) speaks well of it: off idle response very crisp; float bowl keeps gas temp 20+ degrees cooler; MPG about same as a q-jet; secondaries come in only when needed; electric choke, and an optional TPS for running an electrically operated 200/700R tranny.

Only problems, I do not see any provision to force the choke open during heat-soaked restarts, and the cheapest one I have found so far is at JEGs for $359, with free shipping.
    Probably not the direction to go in Joe,...spread bore means carb adapter or extensive machining work (talking Stude engine here) Why go this route with the new electric choke Edelbrocks out there for the same or less $$$?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      Probably not the direction to go in Joe,...spread bore means carb adapter or extensive machining work (talking Stude engine here) Why go this route with the new electric choke Edelbrocks out there for the same or less $$$?
      Ed,
      I have been running spread bore, "baby four barrel" Holley carbs for years. An adapter works nicely on Stude, WCFB & AFB manifolds.

I have a near-new (probably less than five operating hours on it) Edlebrock in the garage, but don't really want to use it; been-there and done-that. While most folks consider them "close enough" to an AFB to be stock, I don't really care for them on a 289. But they work pretty good on a 352. Have tried both the 500 & 600 CFM versions.
      Last edited by JoeHall; 08-17-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

To each his own I guess Joe....But I sure don't hear too many folks knocking the Edelbrock version of the original Carter AFB.......a carb that Studebaker itself used as OEM.

Comment

Working...
        X