Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which trans is your favorite? BW T-10, BW T-86, or I guess FOM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which trans is your favorite? BW T-10, BW T-86, or I guess FOM.

I originally wanted a four on the floor if I was gonna build a car myself. But after reading the good stuff about the BW 3 speeds I was thinking, good trans, way cheaper hmm. But I found a good deal on a four speed, that I can afford and I'm starting to think, settle in other departments not in your drive train! But would a three speed be settling. I have no experience with either trans so I'm not sure. Is worth double to even more for a four on the floor? It seems like it might just be. I want it to be a hot rod.
    This is mostly to see what you people prefer with a poll. And why you prefer what you do.
    Option 1. BW T86 OD or even just the three speeds in general. But that one in general.

Option 2. BW T10 nothing fancy just the good old factory four speed of 61-64

Option 3. FOM automatic I guess the standard version since I have hope of or interest in finding a power-shift. If you like the power-shift best vote auto, and specify. I left this option in for those like autos best, but this thread is mostly for the manuals.
    BW T-10
    40.00%
    BW T-86 OD
    52.00%
    FOM or other stock auto
    8.00%

I vote for the BW T-10......They work great in hotrods!

Comment

I actually setup a poll so I can count how many people prefer what. So feel free to vote!

Comment

I've only taken a few short test drives in my Lark as it is nearly done. It has the FOM (not powershift). It seems like it's wound a little tight with the automatic and the 4.10 rear end. I get up to 45-50 mph and I want it to shift one more time but it doesn't. I can't imagine how it with be at highway speeds. I guess, to answer your question, It might depend on what gear ratio you rear end has as to what transmission will serve you best.

Comment

Hydramatic- GM ..... DG250 Detroit Gear
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

To me, its very important to combine tranny and rear end selection. A good combo makes most any tranny OK, but a mismatch can render the car all but useless. Also, what was a good combo 45-60 years ago is not necessarily so today, since a lot has changed about driving conditions, then & now.

As for Stude OEM: T85/89 set up for passenger car, with 3.31 to 3.73 rear end; FOM, with 3.07; T-10 with 3.54 to 3.73, but only if I could figure a way to put OD in it. Last would be T86, though its not really even last, since you couldn't pay me to run one.

As for other trannys: 200/700R with 3.31 to 3.73 rear end, or TH350/400 with 2.53 to 2.79.
            Last edited by JoeHall; 08-17-2013, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
              DG250 Detroit Gear
              Jimmi....He wants to drive a car.....NOT anchor a yacht!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=JoeHall;769936] Last would be T86, though its not really even last, since you couldn't pay me to run one.

Depends how one drives Joe....T-86's are stronger than You give them credit for......and much lighter than their 'big brother', the "Big Hog" T-85!!!!!!!

Comment

I am kinda in the same boat as you only I already own a 3 speed/od trans and a floor shifter. I was thinking four speed, but am now leaning more towards the 3 speed for a few reasons. for one I already own it and for two the cool factor, and three it sounds like a lot of fun to drive one. I mean how many manual trans have passing gears that automatically kick in when you mash the pedal and allow the car to coast to a stop? I think I even read you dont need the clutch when shifting into 2nd or third. These trans are super cool and make great conversation pieces and I imagine a blast to drive. Of course I am not sure how well this trans will hold up to a massive amount of power and I imagine I may have to go with a four speed when I add the turbos, but for the time being I feel the 3 speed will work fine. If you havent read how to operate a 3 speed OD trans I suggest you do before you make your final choice.

Comment

T5, even if it's not on the list
                    sigpic
                    JohnP, driving & reviving
                    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Probably the biggest drawback to using a T-85 or a T-86 is the non-synchro 1st gear. But if the trans is equipped with overdrive,...and it's left in overdrive,....1st can easily be engaged without coming to a full stop.....which definitely helps the driving experience!

Comment

...this is easy.....3 spd OD without a doubt.
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Can't vote because your poll left out the best transmission Studebaker ever offered - the T85/T89 overdrive.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            Can't vote because your poll left out the best transmission Studebaker ever offered - the T85/T89 overdrive.

jack vines
                            The T-85 is a treasure......heavy......but a treasure!

Comment

For a street car, you will want an overdrive style transmission if you can afford it. That's why manufacturers turn out new cars with overdrive: more relaxed and quieter cruising at highway speeds, better gas mileage and less drivetrain wear and tear.

That limits you to really two affordable choices: Go old school with the 3 speed/overdrive or a modern Borg Warner T5

The T5 to Studebaker swap is well documented on this site as well as other online sources. The pluses for the T5 are being light weight, compact, inexpensive, plentiful, and easy to rebuild. Parts can be found anywhere. In high performance applications, they are seen as weak, but a world-class T5 behind a Studebaker holds up just fine.

Put a high performance shifter on the T5 (factory shifters are junk), an old style shift knob and boot and you have the best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                              X