tire kicker in need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire kicker in need

joined sdc a couple of months ago and thought I knew a thing or two about our studes (wrong ) I will be purchasing a hawk in the near future really like 57 and 58 golden hawks but all 57/58/59/60 are nice.so if any one has one at a good price would be interested my wife has told me to quite kicking tires and buy one and I try to keep her HAPPY, THANKS IN ADVANCE.P.S. WILL BE AT THE ORPHAN CAR SHOW IN BRANSON.I'M 70 THIS MONTH SO IF I'M GOING TO BUY ONE NEED IT SOON?

You have a GREAT WIFE!! Good luck!

Comment

Hey.. 70 is the new 30. You're just getting started. Reagan was 73 when elected to his second term. Colonel Sanders was 67 when he franchised his first chicken franchise...I'll be North of you if I run for office again next year.

You have plenty of time to buy a Hawk, a Lark, a Champ & ...... But, your wife is right you need to get started because you can't own just one and you're missing all the fun.

Comment

Max, the first thing you need to do is establish a price range.

There is a huge price disparity between, say, a "driver" 1959 Silver Hawk six and a show-quality 1957 Golden Hawk; the Golden Hawk could be worth 15 times what the '59 is worth, but both of them be fairly priced.

(And once you've been at a few shows with a 1959 Silver Hawk Six, half the people passing by will go home and tell their family they saw a Studebaker Golden Hawk that day anyway!) BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks bob ,will do,would say 8,000 on driver and 15,000-20,000 on show ? What do you think ?

Comment

Originally posted by arkie View Post
            Thanks bob ,will do,would say 8,000 on driver and 15,000-20,000 on show ? What do you think ?
            That's do-able, but it will be a Silver Hawk or 1960-1961 Hawk, not a Golden Hawk in that range. And besides, if you are a newbie, you don't need the more rattle-prone hardtop body and supercharger care and feeding of a Golden Hawk anyway; 'better to have a Silver Hawk coupe that is not supercharged.

Best wishes with the search; there are plenty of them out there. Since you are in the south anyway, your chances are better of getting one that is reasonably solid and not a patched-up rust bucket. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for advise.

Comment

There are two really nice Hawks coming up for sale shortly in the Quad Cities. One of our longtime members has decided he has to sell his cars due to health reasons. These were really nice restorations and very driveable the last time I saw them. They have been garaged for years. One is a '56 Golden Hawk & the other is a '59 Silver Hawk. as of now I do not know the prices but I am supposed to get the official sale ad before leaving for St. Louis Zone Meek next Friday.

Comment

I would love to hear from you as soon as you know.i will be going to the branson mo orphan car show in a couple of weeks and there is a couple of prospects there.thanks max

Comment

Max,

We look forward to seeing you at the Orphan Car Show. It is my favorite show of the year. 2 days of kick back, strolling around and fellowshipping with SDC members and other orphan car enthusiasts. Of course there are many entertainment shows you can take in as well. There was a hospitality room set up on the landing last year near the fountains. I do not know if it will be in the same building this year but I would love you contacting me on my cell when you get in town. I can let you know for sure where it is. My cell number is 918-693-9697 and my name is Charles Musgrove. We look forward to meeting you and your wife.

Once again, we look forward to meeting you at the car show.

Charlie D.

Comment

Max, take along a good Magnet to root out those Cars that are full of Bondo that snuck in from the North!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

thanks Richard, will take your advice

Comment

Arkie: There is also a chapter in central Arkansas(Studebakers of Arkansas) we will be holding our meeting tomorrow 8/18/13 at 1:30 pm in Conway at the Conway Public Library 1900 Tyler St. My # is 501 247 6828.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Max, take along a good Magnet to root out those Cars that are full of Bondo that snuck in from the North!
                            Rich, one of the rustiest Hawks I ever saw was literally patched with Arkansas license plates. I don't know where it spent it's early years, but the bondo expert who "restored" it was definitely in AR.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Thanks dick, i'm in lower ark and conway is about 135 miles away would have made the meeting but i just wasn't up to the 300 ? Mile round trip today,maybe in the near future,thanks again max

Comment

Working...
                              X