1953 Studebaker Undercoating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Studebaker Undercoating

Does anyone know if undercoating was available as a factory/dealer option in 1953 and is there factory documentation to confirm it? Was the gas tank coated? Thanks, Gene Napoliello, Waterbury Center, Vermont

Not one of Studebakers better ideas. It would dry out and begin to peel......then trap mud, salt, etc. between itself and the metal flooring.....NOT GOOD!

Comment

Welcome!
      To answer you more directly - Undercoating was a factory option. Some dealers did not have the factory apply undercoating and applied their own. This makes a big variation in quality of material and application. Keep in mind that this undercoating was primarily a sound deadener, not a rustproofing. In fact, if it separated from the body panels it could cause trap sites leading to rust.
      The only documentation that I can find right off is in the 1953 Accessories Booklet. On page 15 it lists "Knocks-Sound Undercoating". This is a dealer installed accessory item furnished by Studebaker, not the factory application.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Avanti Motors listed undercoating as an option...but as a sound silencer only. I guess they made such a big deal about the fiberglass body being rust-proof they wanted no one mistaking its intent as an option.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by DrGene View Post
          Does anyone know if undercoating was available as a factory/dealer option in 1953 and is there factory documentation to confirm it? Was the gas tank coated? Thanks, Gene Napoliello, Waterbury Center, Vermont
          The Fact is, that Most Studebakers were Factory undercoated, in '47 to '55 most were coated inside on the floors as well. It could of course be not ordered with it.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but on my fall/winter "to do list" is to prepare and apply POR-15 to underneath surface rust areas on the '51.

after that, other than weight saving and maybe less noise reduction, is there any advantage to use a truck bed liner spray instead of undercoating? then, any advantage to the truck bed liner rather than a chassis paint?

i've undercoated a few cars in the past. just curious what y'all think.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
            X