No announcement yet.

New meaning to bleed the brakes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: New meaning to bleed the brakes...

I'm embarrassed to think I've flared copper and steel tubing for 50 years and did such a lousy job on these brake lines.

Of 25 possible flare fails, at least 15 of them were initial leakers... I expected 1 or 2 when under pressure, not more than half! I'm probably down to a half dozen after 4 hours. I'd like to blame that loaner flair tool but I was the first user so I can only accept it as operator error.

Because of that problem (leaking flares) I chose to use pre-made tubing. I have a couple of extra loops, here and there, but no leakers.

Comment

Don't be too hard on yourself, if its a "loaner" from a parts store then its probably one of those cheap Chinese tools. I seen a lot of problems with those. I use a Snap On one and its perfect every time.

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
        Don't be too hard on yourself, if its a "loaner" from a parts store then its probably one of those cheap Chinese tools. I seen a lot of problems with those. I use a Snap On one and its perfect every time.
        I agree, a lot of the bare steel tubing available over the last few years seems kinda brittle and hard to flare. My luck is somewhat better than yours but on the 74 I chose the advice above and went with the new coated steel pre-made tubing. Like Tom, I have a few "vibration damping bends" but it's all in and I don't think I've got more than $30 in it. The newer stuff just bends great either with a bender, around a steel cylinder or by hand.

Bob

Comment

I used a v belt pulley kind with 4 or 5 different diameters on as used to change speed on some home saws or lathes had good luck getting nice kink free bends

Comment

Sorry I have to ask,but you did use a DOUBLE flair tool?? I did all mine with a Snap-on flair tool,and had no leakers.[but it did take a few practice rounds on a junk piece of line to get the hang of it]
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I have a blue point that works spot on.I always make certain all burs and such are scraped and filed from inside the tube.and file a bevel to the outer edge,and make sure the exact amount of tube rides out to match the stagger on the button.also make sure the vise IS tight,never had one leak yet.speaking of factory flares,just looked at one the other day and talk about egg shaped !!!
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

It was all operator error. He used an inferior loaner kit, didn't set the vice deep enough for first flare, kit left second flare rough and not perfectly square and the inspector gets fired!

Bought a better kit today and the flares look much better. I'm sure they may actually seal!

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                  I have a blue point that works spot on.I always make certain all burs and such are scraped and filed from inside the tube.and file a bevel to the outer edge,and make sure the exact amount of tube rides out to match the stagger on the button.also make sure the vise IS tight,never had one leak yet.speaking of factory flares,just looked at one the other day and talk about egg shaped !!!
                  Joe,..Good advice and explanation....Folks really need to be careful with this one...'Almost' certainly doesn't work here! (I also use a Blue-Point flaring kit)

Comment

Thanks Ed,something else I was taught is when doing the second step only do a 3/4 turn!so that's just how I do it.but have to admit to brain farts,like forgetting to slide the fitting on first or putting it on backwards <G> so I have had to buy extra tubing.
                    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Joe,..Good advice and explanation....Folks really need to be careful with this one...'Almost' certainly doesn't work here! (I also use a Blue-Point flaring kit)
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Another tip: find a source for that Cunifer alloy brake line. Non-corrosive, between copper and steel in workability, but much easier than steel. You can make small-radius bends by hand. Just made a pair of lines for a spin-on bypass oil filter to replace rotten rubber lines, and I put a complete 360 bend in each one, making them much easier to align for the install.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

My son works at NAPA and brought me home a roll of Copper/Nickel alloy line (guess they call it "cuni"). Boy did it work nice! Plus, they say it will never rot out. Can't beat that. Put new lines on my '64 Commander last spring with the stuff. We'll see. D
                        sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Bowen View Post
                          My son works at NAPA and brought me home a roll of Copper/Nickel alloy line (guess they call it "cuni"). D
                          Do you have the NAPA part # for it Doug & how much did it cost?
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I was helping my neighbor do a brake job on His Dakota truck,I saw what I thought was copper line."and told Him that's a no no" I'll have to replace that as well ! I soon found out at the parts store that's the copper/nickel alloy line and it does work and bend up nicely.
                            Originally posted by Doug Bowen View Post
                            My son works at NAPA and brought me home a roll of Copper/Nickel alloy line (guess they call it "cuni"). Boy did it work nice! Plus, they say it will never rot out. Can't beat that. Put new lines on my '64 Commander last spring with the stuff. We'll see. D
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I recently bought the double flaring tool from Eastwood, it's not cheap, and will NOT work under the vehicle, but, mounted in a vise I can make a double flare (others too, but I've had no reason to use the other styles) in about 30 seconds. I've used it on stainless tubing and works just as easy and makes a double flare without any leaks.

Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                              X