Studebaker Chambered Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Chambered Exhaust

Here is the link to the old Popular Mechanics of August 1963, telling of the new features of the 1964 models.

This is about Studebaker going to use chambered pipes. I don't know if they were to be from Walker or someone else.

Popular Mechanics inspires, instructs and influences readers to help them master the modern world. Whether it’s practical DIY home-improvement tips, gadgets and digital technology, information on the newest cars or the latest breakthroughs in science -- PM is the ultimate guide to our high-tech lifestyle.

I am using a similar item for under the body side pipes on my Avanti. The reasons for use are the same as listed next to the photo, one specific reason being compact size.

Does anyone have any information from Studebaker about these chambered pipes, or who was their source to be?
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

I think I have a copy of that magazine at home. I know I read the article in a magazine once. As far as I know, it never saw production. It would take special tooling to manufacture those, maybe the cost saving just wasn't there at the production volumes that Studebaker was expecting to see.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

They sure called it on the Avanti...a grille was added but underneath...not where they show it. Journalism hasn't changed much.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

When Walker introduced the chambered exhaust, they pitched it to all the auto manufacturers and made test systems available. AFAIK, the Olds Toronado and the optional Corvette side pipes were the only OEM use.

I've used the aftermarket Walker TurboTubes for many years. They never got much sales volume going, so Walker dropped them and www.classicchambered.com/classic/faq.html picked up the production.

Journalism hasn't changed much.
        Still waiting for that small-small-block V8 Chevy 260" and 84# lighter.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 08-15-2013, 01:56 AM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          When Walker introduced the chambered exhaust, they pitched it to all the auto manufacturers and made test systems available. AFAIK, the Olds Toronado and the optional Corvette side pipes were the only OEM use.
          Not that it matters, but for trivia`s sake, I think some '69 Camaros also came with them...probably low volume ones...perhaps COPO big-blocks? Cheers, Junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
            Not that it matters, but for trivia`s sake, I think some '69 Camaros also came with them...probably low volume ones...perhaps COPO big-blocks? Cheers, Junior
            Friend of mine had a 1969 Z-28 with them .....Quite noisy !
            1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
            Lewisville,NC

Comment

Working...
            X