An interesting factoid on Enzo's inspiration for his V12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting factoid on Enzo's inspiration for his V12

Today was the day for the death of Enzo Ferrari, who died in 1988 at the age of 90. In the link below, they have a rare interview with Enzo on his inspiration for his Ferrari V12, and it came from none other than the Packard 12 cylinder racecar, that he saw racing at Indianapolis in 1919! Now we know why he came to Studebaker for a joint vehicle build before they closed all those years later!

"I am an agitator of men." Even late in life, when Ferrari was on the verge of becoming dominant in Formula 1 racing and building the first car named for him, Enzo Ferrari would declaim that he'd ever possessed any genius as a driver — as shown above for Alfa Romeo in the 1920s — [...]

As an aside, I hold him in the highest regard, as he and his company had quite a few years of racing under his belt before he died. He had also built some cars that were some real iconic stunners too. But now I can put him on a little higher pedestal, because to bash him, is also a sleight to bashing Packard, as that's where the inspiration for his mean little V12 had came from!!
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

I have read that Enzo was being a bit disingenuous about his inspiration. Alfa Romeo, whose racing team he headed before ww2 ran v12s too and they were very successful, but Enzo did not want to give credit to any potential rivals on the track in the future.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Enzo's goal was first of all to race his cars & then make some road-cars as a second thing & THAT is something I've always admired him for!
      (But Fiat had other thoughts thou...)
      Then suddenly came that tractor-manufacturer & made a car that looked like a kids-made paper-model-car that was made ONLY to be faster than Ferrari... there's a name for that kind of "winners"...

Comment

Easy now, Lambo has had some good cars too. I liked how he had got started making his cars after he got started in building tractors, which is akin to a cautionary tale on what happens when you insult the farmer who can repair his own equipment!
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I hold innovators like him in the highest regard. (old dudes like him will soon be missed more than we as a society are currently willing to acknowledge) Like the article said he built a company from nothing and was a motivator of people. PEOPLE who are able to motivate others amaze me and it is one of the things in life that interests me more than almost anything else.

It is a rare individual that can motivate others to produce above average results / products / engineering,... so on from a group make them happy to do so and then be humble enough to showcase the group first and foremost.

Dean.

Comment

Yep Dean, right enough!

(& yes, Lambo DID make a bunch of nice ones also...)

Comment

Working...
            X