Legal through Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal through Canada?

Vehicles in Canada do not require signal lights or seat belts if they were not originally equipped with them. You should have no problems, other than people waving at you when you stick your arm out the window to signal. Let us know your route, so those of us close can maybe catch a glimpse of you on your way thru.
    Evan Davis
    Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Your OK without seatbelts as long as they haven't been installed, once installed you have to use them. Just bring lots of money , gas is more money up here.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I may install seatbelts if there is time. It all depends on the weather. There isn't a working heater in the car so I have to beat the cold weather to Alaska. Scrapping my breath off the windshield with a credit card for a thousand miles would be challenging. We're leaving from Portland Oregon where a member of the Northwest Chapter is going over the car to make it reliable enough to go the distance. If the weather here is still good we'll make a leisurely trip up the highway. If the weather is getting cold we'll make a bee line for home.

Comment

Most of us only know about the US requirements. Seat Belts were not required until 1964 on Cars, I have no idea about Trucks in Canada, but they are often about the same as here.

Turn Signals were required here in about 1955 on Cars.

If you were to try and Register it in Canada, they would do a full inspection and come up with a whole lot of issues but just driving through I would not think so.
          But it is very important to have all of the required items working like 2 Tail lights, 2 Stop Lights, a License Light, Head and Parking lights, Horn and Wipers.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I might have to check the horn and the plate light.

Comment

Remember driving with my Dad on a fishing trip to Sherbrooke, Quebec in our 1964 Commander.
              Funny thing, I remember clearly asking about a gallon of gasoline while Dad was filling the Studebaker up.
              He told me in Canada they use an Imperial gallon, which is more in quantity than a US gallon.
              Guess everything is Metric in Canada now adays. Always thought the Imperial gallon sounded very neat. To use the vernacular of the 1960's.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

How much is a gallon going for along the highway? I paid $3.96 (u.s.) this morning. Does anyone know if there are road condition/services differences between the Cassiar Hwy and the Alaska Hwy? It looks like there is only a hundred mile difference. The last time I saw the Cassiar was in 1984 and it was bad road most of the way.

Comment

You can count on about $1.30 / lt which will be about $5.00 + a US gal.
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I haven't had a chance to drive the car with a working gas gauge so I'm not sure how the mileage will be. It has a Stude 1964 OHV six out of a wagon. Any clue on the gas mileage with that engine?

Comment

It would not be much trouble to plumb a heater in, even if only for the trip. I'd think, once you arrive in AK, the heater would be a keeper though.

Comment

Weather in the North is seasonally dependent. It is just that the summer is much shorter than down south. My last years of work was north of the arctic circle but we still enjoyed summer weather along with 24 hours of daylight. If you are heading out now you will certainly not expect 24 hours of daylight but cooler weather can be expected in late August and September however August is still a good travel month. The western coast of Alaska has a much more temperate climate than where I lived which was about 60 to 80 miles south the Arctic ocean.
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

The Fuel Mileage will depend a lot on whether or not you are still running the original 4.56 Axle Ratio for O.D. and have a working Overdrive or not. It could be a straight 3 Speed and maybe only a 4.10 axle ratio, but no O.D. would really hurt.

It should be between 15 and 20 MPG depending on what speed and how many Mountain climbs etc. then it will be less MPG.

I would never drive an OHV 6 Oregon to Alaska without rigging up some kind of accurate Temp. Gauge that is marked in degrees, possibly a direct reading thermal wire type gauge (non-electric).
                          It could be put in a "T" in the Heater Hot outlet fitting from the Head, so you can monitor the Temp. and know when she has had all she can take, going up hills to prevent cracking the Head, 195 to 210 Deg. F is asking for trouble.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

John....we took an Alaska cruise and land tour last September and you should reasonably expect the temperature to be in the 60s for your trip, at least for the first 2 weeks of the month. Be sure to bring a U.S. passport for entry into Canada.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
                              I may install seatbelts if there is time.
                              I worry more about the gas gauge and heater before the seat belts...
                              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X