Trophy-Grabbing Golden Hawk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trophy-Grabbing Golden Hawk...

Friend Phil Brandt and I fielded the only two Studebakers in the Lizton Community Association Benefit Car Show today in -where else- Lizton IN. (It's said to be the only Lizton in the world, BTW.)

You may recall that Phil was instrumental in helping our mutual friend Rock acquire that one-of-one R2, Horizon Green 1964 Gran Turismo Hawk last week.

Many of you have seen Phil's tangerine-scalloped over pearl white 1956 Golden Hawk. It's one of the few survivors with factory stick overdrive. Well, the judges thought it was pretty cool, too, since it garnered TWO trophies: Sponsor's Choice and one of the "Top 20." (OK, maybe being one of the Top 20 among 48 cars isn't a great big deal, but he did get the trophy....and, by contrast, yours truly's Daytona convertible got ZIP!)

Congrats, Phil; cool beans. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Nice car, and fantastic shirt!

Confession time: I love Hawaiian shirts. I can be found in one almost all the time. The other day I was driving into a local gas station that I like going to because they sell "good" gas, and as I was coming in, a guy with a '55 Chevy Wagon was pulling out. My wife commented that both he and I were wearing Hawaiian shirts, and commented that it must be a car guy thing.

I guess so!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Love that Hawk - especially the tranny it sports! And I'm another confirmed Hawiian shirt aficianado. 'Bout all I wear for shirts! Most proud of the one I have that has '58 Packard hardtops on it!
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have had the pleasure of meeting Phil, and of looking his car over, top to bottom. Phil and his car are each one of a kind. His car is totally his creation, and is as sharp a 56J as I've ever seen.

About eight years ago, we left SB with a caravan of four 56Js, headed south and to home. Phil was the first to peel off, somewhere around Noblesville IIRC, but not till we all stopped at Golden Corral. I still have pix of those four 56Js around here somewhere, sitting in the parking lot at Golden Corral.

Sorry I did not see Phil in SB last year, at the International Meet. I heard he had car trouble, but obviously he's got it fixed now

Comment

Around here it seems the TRI Chevies are pulling in all the trophies, and while some are really done up nicely, the judges don't seem to be interested in the low numbered cars, or orphan brands. I don't know what it is, but nine times out of ten...
          Corley

Comment

Scallops? Those look more like strobe stripes to me!
            Beautiful custom touches there...

Aloha shirts are popular for car guys because they camouflage grease stains so well! ;D
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Never seen this 56J before.....would like to see more pictures of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                Scallops? Those look more like strobe stripes to me!
                Beautiful custom touches there...

Aloha shirts are popular for car guys because they camouflage grease stains so well! ;D
                Well, Andy; I've called them scallops when discussing them with Phil and he hasn't corrected me, so that's what I've kinda gone with! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  I see it pretty often, Ed, so I'll try to take and post a few more pictures of it as the opportunity presents itself.

The position and eye-catching nature of those scallop lazer stripes, for want of a better term, really cause the car to jump out of a line of cars at a car show. Scanning a row of red GTOs and orange Camaros and white Mustangs, one's eye is immediately stopped by the graphics on Phil's Golden Hawk. BP

Comment

Always great to hear of Studebaker recognition. Nice car!
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I guess that the ultimate shirts for this group are the "Avanti" brand Hawaiian shirts.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        The position and eye-catching nature of those scallop lazer stripes, for want of a better term, really cause the car to jump out of a line of cars at a car show. Scanning a row of red GTOs and orange Camaros and white Mustangs, one's eye is immediately stopped by the graphics on Phil's Golden Hawk. BP
                        Since you are the speling/editor guy here, I will comment on this.
                        The acronym is LASER (not "lazer"). We have covered this before. The "S" is for stimulated which I believe that we would both spell with an s.
                        I would also call them strobe stripes. Perhaps Ed is too polite to correct you when you call them something else.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          PM sent this evening, Ed. BP

Comment

Working...
                          X