Twin traction diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin traction diff.

Thanks for the tips and info on the Hawk front brake drums.
    I received today my "Build Sheet" from the museum.
    It says my Hawk came with a twin traction diff.
    My question is, how do I know that it is still in there?
    There is a tag on the lower left back cover that says 47 with 11 below.
    On the right upper side is a tag with a T on it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Rod

Take out the differential's check/fill plug. Put your finger straight in the hole.

If you can put your finger pretty far into the hole without hitting anything, it doesn't have Twin raction.

If you "hit" a big object with your finger almost immediately upon sticking it in the fill plug hole, it has TT. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The differential that you have is a 4.27:1 ratio. It is not likely that your Hawk came with that (but possible). What ratio is on the build sheet?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There is no ratio stated on the build sheet. Is says OD TRANS
        TWIN TRACTION DIFF
        710X15 WHT
        By the way I did stick my finger in the diff fill hole, and the gear is right there.

Comment

Another way to check for TT is to raise one (just one) of the rear wheels off the ground. Put the car in neutral and make sure the emergency brake is off. Then, try to spin the wheel with your hands. If it is a TT, it will spin less than 1/4 turn before it locks up, either direction. If it spins round and round, its not a TT.

Comment

Working...
          X