PDA

View Full Version : Radiator needed for '55 President

greyben
08-06-2013, 03:37 PM
My President sedan developed an 8 inch break in the upper tank rendering it unrepairable. I would like to find a replacement radiator in time to attend the Whatcom get together in September, a 400 mile plus drive. I believe all the '55 V8 radiators interchange except for some early 224 equipped cars. If you can part with a good or repairable one let me know. Unfortunately they don't interchange with any other year.

Alternatively I would like feedback from anyone who has adapted a later radiator to a '55. There are several threads on the use of a 240 or 280z in later model Studebakers. This appears feasible with the '55, but may require some alteration to the original shroud. Has anyone attempted a 240-280Z installation and if so how did it go? An aluminum Z radiator can be obtained for less than $200 and if the swap could be done would at least suffice in the short term until an original can be located.

warrlaw1
08-06-2013, 04:10 PM
55 sedan radiators do not interchange with 55 c/k radiators. 224 or 259 should make no difference. Your best bet is a good rad shop. The upper tank is brass and should be an easy repair. Mine had a few gaping holes, but is repaired, re-cored and takes the hottest temps. Good luck.

greyben
08-06-2013, 06:06 PM
I was going by the part number in the '55-'58 parts book which shows only one radiator, #536464, as applicable to all LHC 6H models.

StudeRich
08-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Ben, one of the reasons only one Part Number is shown is they switched Brands in '55 to I THINK Modine, and used a high efficiency staggered tube Radiator with cross fins instead of vertical ones.

To better describe that, just about all older Radiators have rows of vertical Tubes sitting directly in front of each other, these have each of the Three Rows in a President V8, offset to catch more air. Then instead of filling the areas between the tubes with folded up trips of metal "Fins" vertically, these had finer, closer, Fins running across the Radiator.

I always THOUGHT it was a way better design, how much difference it makes I have no idea.

These have the smooth type Top Tanks. That does not necessarily mean a McCord earlier or later type would not work.