ASTRO steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: ASTRO steering box

A while back there was a thread on using an Astro steering box. Has anyone done anything more on this or similar PS box. I need to make plans to address the PS, column and shift soon.

PS Pump is AWOL, PS condition is unknown, steering column is missing and 3 on the tree columns for PS on a Speedster column are scarce. Since the local Pull and Save has 13 Astro's and numerous Grand Am's that option is intriguing. With this route I'd think of a Hurst Syncro Loc for shift.

All thoughts are welcome.

Here's a link to the thread.
    Read carefully as the setup is not a bolt in. Its a Chevy engine, Ford steering column and modified drag link.
    But don't fret either as the builders state that it would not be difficult to make it work with Stude Engine and column.
    sals54

Comment

sals54:
      I just went over the thread you referenced.
      Dan and I were careful not to say that that it WOULD work with a Stude V8 and column.
      It LOOKS like it would. We're confident that it would work. From eyeballing it off my 55.
      BUT
      It still hasn't been done so, nothing definate.
      As an update, I saw the car recently in another car show. Paul the owner, builder has put several thousand miles on it up and down California.
      It had some twitchiness originally so he played with the front end alignment and cured that.
      Added caster. I think. Whatever it was was an adjustment, not a modification.
      He has the car for sale to move onto his next project. But till it's sold he has a great big smile on his face.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I still find it somewhat amazing that people feel the need for "power steering" on a fairly light car with little skinny front tires on it..!?

My Lark wagon has the big ol heavy 259 in it with the big ol heavy cast iron trans., and I have a moderatly small steering wheel, and have no problem with this as a daily driver.
        I just don't get it...
        Just keep what's there in good shape, properly lubed, the tires up to proper pressure...!?

I guess all bets are off if you are 5'2" and 100lbs...!

Mike

P.s. - In all honesty...I also find it really amazing...while sitting in an airport...waiting my turn....to see these guys, (apparently) healthy, tall, pulling their luggage....a 1' x 1' x 2' semi-soft container...ON ROLLER wheels....geeze this world is getting soft.
        Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 08-06-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Mike, I generally agree with your point. However, here is my starting point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1045.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1683159 and the steering column is for an automatic with a failed attempt to change to a floor shift.

Pump is full of AZ sand and the entire PS, Column, floor shift issue is a problem dependent on each of the pieces. I'm inclined to visit U.Pull&Pay for the parts +/- $125 if conversion is deemed not that horrendous.

Comment

mmagic, That power steering looks like a train wreck. Try going down to your local Auto parts store for a rebuilt one to replace it. ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? It might be waaaay back on the last shelf.
            sals54

Comment

sals54... you are being polite !! Under all that crap it could be like new but being that the column is an issue and I'm sure that rag in the pump did wonders, I'm exploring options for the PS unit.

Comment

Working...
              X