Avanti Chassis Mfg's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Chassis Mfg's.

Name the automobile brands of chassis used for Avanti production.

This may be very easy for some. In the slim chance that the desired answer is not forthcoming, I will later interject clues.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Studebaker for everything up to 66, GM and Ford for post 83 Avantis (Monte Carlo & El Camino frames, then on to the full sized Chevy frames that were cut down to size). 01, 02, 03, 04 had the Firebird frame and body while the 05 - 07's had the Mustang body.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
      Studebaker for everything up to 66, GM and Ford for post 83 Avantis (Monte Carlo & El Camino frames, then on to the full sized Chevy frames that were cut down to size). 01, 02, 03, 04 had the Firebird frame and body while the 05 - 07's had the Mustang body.
      You have roughly the right idea, but you need to read my statement more carefully in order to come up with the correct answer.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I am not sure how to interpret "Automobile Brands of chassis" and the Title: "Avanti Chassis Manufacturers" in the same context.

I do not remember the short term Prototype Frame Mfg. Co. but the Majority Corp. was Budd Corp.

"Name the
        automobile brands of chassis" taken seriously would be the CAR the Frame started out as before Mods were done at Studebaker or Avanti Motors, would be: '62 and later '63, Studebaker Lark 8 Daytona Convertible Frames were used to build '63 to '83 Avantis and Avanti II's.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-05-2013, 03:34 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I do not remember the short term Prototype Mfg. but the Majority Corp. was Budd Corp.
          And A.O. Smith/Tower Automotive is a major structural component supplier to Ford, and they could have produced a few chassis stampings that went into an Avanti.

Craig

Comment

Studebaker Lark, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, El Camino and Caprice, Pontiac Firebird and Ford Mustang would be the chassis variety through the years.
            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
              Studebaker Lark, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, El Camino and Caprice, Pontiac Firebird and Ford Mustang would be the chassis variety through the years.
              Now you have it correct with a little extra.
              I was only looking for the "brands" - Studebaker, Chevrolet, Pontiac and Ford.
              I was not looking for the corporate name, like General Motors or the model name, like Mustang.
              From your post #2, it should be corrected that Avantis used Studebaker frames through 1985 [not 83](Chevrolet starting with 1987 [no 1986]).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Any truth to the story that by 85, Avanti frames were rare, so they were using Lark convertible frames? Also, I thought the Chevys unibody by 87 (I'm no Chevy expert but thought most of Detroit had switched by then)?
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I was under the impression that Avanti never had its own frame with Studebaker. The Lark convertible frame with the heavy center X-member gave it the needed rigidity, so that frame was used for the Avanti. The body mounting brackets attached to the frame may have had different locations for Larks and Avantis, so a convertible frame probably had to have those brackets changed to work on the Avanti. I've seen several accounts of Avanti using up most of the heavier frames by 83 or 84 and having to reinforce the lighter 6 cylinder frames and use them (after they had been sitting outside since 64). Gee, I wonder how much rust accumulated on those frames in 20 years??? No wonder rusted frames were an issue with some of the 80's Avantis. As far as unibody production in GM, I have no clue as I'm not into GM's developments, other than motors.
                  sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Both the Monte Carlo, and later Caprice, used as the basis for 87-91 Avantis, were body on frame cars.
                    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                    \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

When Avanti Motors used up original Studebaker X-member frames they changed to the Lark frame without the X-member in 1977. Serial numbers RQB2596 and RQB2599 were the first to use the lighter frame and then that frame was used continually beginning with RQB2607. The frame was thinner gauge and required stiffeners as well as the X-member welded in to give them sufficient strength.

Studebaker must have purchased a huge number of frames that were excess after shutting down operations in South Bend and left sitting about for years waiting for use. Supposedly they were simply stacked up in a storage area exposed to the elements. It makes one wonder how much they suffered from rust before ever being cleaned off for use.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                      X