Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagonaires are Fun (Offer Repeated; see Post #62)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaires are Fun (Offer Repeated; see Post #62)

'Gotta admit, my "new" (as of February 1, 2013) 1964 Daytona Wagonaire is proving to be a lot more fun than I imagined. 'Still sorting out its many needs, but nothing all that major and I'll keep chipping away at them. (Sealed the gas tank sending unit from leaking with a full tank, installed the good, used RF window regulator, and lubed the speedometer cable this past week, for example...hadn't touched that little bottle of "Kable-Eeze" for decades...)

It's now been to one SDC Chapter Meeting and two small, local cruise-ins. It's amazing how much attention the sliding roof gets, which is good because that novelty draws the observer's attention from the fact that it's not a perfect car...not by a long shot!

Someone put fairly fresh duals on it not too long ago, with good glass-packs, so it has a bit of a bark that is not backed up with any kind of meaningful bite, being a 2-bbl 259 with Flightomatic!

And it's fun to drive with the slider open. I've never previously owned a collector station wagon of any make, much less a Studebaker, and certainly understand their growing appeal. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM. Reason: added pic
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    'Gotta admit, my "new" (as of February 1, 2013) 1964 Daytona Wagonaire is proving to be a lot more fun than I imagined. 'Still sorting out its many needs, but nothing all that major and I'll keep chipping away at them. (Sealed the gas tank sending unit from leaking with a full tank, installed the good, used RF window regulator, and lubed the speedometer cable this past week, for example...hadn't even touched that little bottle of "Kable-Eeze" for decades...)

It's now been to one SDC Chapter Meeting and two small, local cruise-ins. It's amazing how much attention the sliding roof gets, which is good because that novelty draws the observer's attention from the fact that it's not a perfect car...not by a long shot!

Someone put fairly fresh duals on it not too long ago, with good glass-packs, so it has a bit of a bark that is not backed up with any kind of meaningful bite, being a 2-bbl 259 with Flightomatic!

And it's fun to drive with the slider open. I've never previously owned a collector station wagon of any make before, much less a Studebaker, and certainly understand their growing appeal. BP
    Hey Bob, that's a fantastic collection. I love the Wagonaire.
    Stu Chapman

Comment

We really enjoyed our 1963 Daytona Wagonaire back in the day.
      Hope to enjoy our "new" 1965 Daytona Wagonaire soon.
      Just have to put the motor, transmission, and front clip back on!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
        Hey Bob, that's a fantastic collection. I love the Wagonaire.
        Stu Chapman
        Thanks, Stu....but we know you really relish that famous 1965 (or was it 1964?) Daytona Wagonaire publicity shot with you and (was it?) Miss Dominion of Canada.

BTW, did you miss my entire thread on the newly-completed set several weeks ago?

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, when you are trying to decide which one to take for a ride,

a) pick based on color? (wait---all white)
          b) pick based on year? (wait---all 1964)
          c) pick cleanest car? (wait---all clean)

WAY COOL COLLECTION
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Bob
            Great spread! The license plate looks good too! How is the battery holddown? My buddies & I took 3 Studes to the Macungie ,PA. meet today. The T Cab & Avanti didn't get as much attention as the '64 Daytona SR wagon ! Keep up the progress on your wagon.
            Rob in PA.

Comment

Keep in mind - 9 out of 10 people will hear the bark and not stick around to see if there is any bite...

Comment

But do they all have the correct battery hold downs?
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  But do they all have the correct battery hold downs?
                  No, they don't, Bruce. The sedan has a good, universal hold-down that was on it when I bought it. The other three have the correct OEM-type hold-down. All very secure, of course.

Milt: Which one I drive is usually defined by which one is closest to the door. (The standard joke around here is, "Which Studebaker are you bringing to the meet, Bob?" Answer, "I think I'll drive my white 1964 Daytona.") BP

Comment

Bob, I'm so glad you finally got your White Daytona Wagonaire. For those who have never had one, its hard to communicate the great fun that they are.
                    I've told the story several times here, and once more can't hurt, so....
                    Here is my Wagonaire. Sold several years ago now. Its a car that I have missed more than any other car I've owned. And I've owned hundreds.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                      Bob, when you are trying to decide which one to take for a ride,

a) pick based on color? (wait---all white)
                      b) pick based on year? (wait---all 1964)
                      c) pick cleanest car? (wait---all clean)

WAY COOL COLLECTION
                      OR, Bob could:

d) Pick the DAYTONA!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cool Wagon Bob! Nice collection too! Who needs more bite than a 259?
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

You can never really appreciate Station Wagons till you actually own one. So handy almost like a pickup.
                          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I love wagons. My mom had two (non-Studes) and I bought them both from her. Spent a lot of time in the 'way back' of those cars growing up.
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks, Stu....but we know you really relish that famous 1965 (or was it 1964?) Daytona Wagonaire publicity shot with you and (was it?) Miss Dominion of Canada.

BTW, did you miss my entire thread on the newly-completed set several weeks ago?

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...daytona+family
                              That Wagonaire shot was of a 1964 model. And yes, it really was Miss Dominion of Canada.

The picture was taken in front of Hamilton's historic Dundurn Castle which still gets used for many a classic car picture. In fact I'll be speaking to the Head of the Lakes Historical Society there in September...on the history of Studebaker and its relationship to Hamilton of course.

The other person in the shot was Bob Orr, our Vice President of Marketing. Bob left us late in 1965 to enrol in law school. Subsequently becoming an attorney, he joined one of Canada's premier law offices in Vancouver BC, representing Nissan. Bob passed away about 10 years ago. For those members who have my book, My Father The Car, the picture to which you refer is on page 57.

And very sorry, I did miss your earlier thread. We were away for three weeks when you posted it and I didn't get caught up with my Forum reading. But I sure have read it in detail now and thoroughly enjoyed all the comments.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                              X