Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GT Hawk Red-White-Blue Door Chevrons & Same On Ford; Who Copied Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk Red-White-Blue Door Chevrons & Same On Ford; Who Copied Who?

At the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville Friday, I saw a beautiful, early 1960s Ford. It was a 2 door Fairlane(?), with a pillared roof & rear window nearly identical to GT Hawk's. That is mainly what drew me closer. Upon closer inspection, it also had the aluminum molding along the bottom of the roof pillar, nearly identical to GTs. Right above that molding was a red-white-blue chevron, except it was about 6" long and 1/2" high. (I checked the other side, to see if it was turned upside down, as some folks say 1963GTs are supposed to be. Nope, it was red-white-blue, left to right, on both sides.)

I am not sure of the year of that car, but almost positive it was 1962 or a little earlier. I hate to say it, but it sure looks like Studebaker blatantly, unashamedly copied Ford with the GT Hawk. I know 1958-1960 T'Birds have that same roof line & pillar molding too, but never seen the chevrons on a Ford till Friday. Just tooo many coincidences.

You know old story Joe; similar but Different is NOT the same.

That is all History now in those days things were made slightly different but similar for a reason, most all US designs, parts, names, logos, new items, etc. are Patented and subject to Lawsuits when violated.

Nowadays, the Chinese just make exact copies, removing the item numbers, Mfg. Name, Patent Number etc. make them out of the U.S. where they feel safe doing that and Peddle them here. They also are smart enough not to add the Mfg. name, address etc.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich Take the hydro-vacs sold by SI they coped everything even made in USA. Now that you wouldn't think would be legal even if it does make the part more like factory.

Comment

Kinda reminds Me when a buddy of mine saw my 64 R1 Hawk,He looked at the grill badge and said "hey looks like Pepsi stole Studebaker's desighn" ?
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        You know old story Joe; similar but Different is NOT the same.

That is all History now in those days things were made slightly different but similar for a reason, most all US designs, parts, names, logos, new items, etc. are Patented and subject to Lawsuits when violated.

Nowadays, the Chinese just make exact copies, removing the item numbers, Mfg. Name, Patent Number etc. make them out of the U.S. where they feel safe doing that and Peddle them here. They also are smart enough not to add the Mfg. name, address etc.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

62 Ford Galaxy. Very ugly car. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
          X